making .m3u playlists available in Soundbridge Radio

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues making .m3u playlists available in Soundbridge Radio

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I got firefly installed and running. (FC3 server – Soundbridge Radio for a client). The browsing and scanning of mp3 files is working fine. I can’t seem to get the playlist viewable on the radio. The playlists that get created definied in mt-daapd.playlist show up, but the .m3u files in the music folder do not?

I created a folder in the music folder with all the mp3 files called “playlist” (world readable) and put all the m3u files in it. The “Process m3u Files” is enabled.

The m3u files are supposed to show up in the same menu area on the radio as the mt-daapd.playlist playlists on the radio yes?

If anyone can offer me some help – I’d appreciate it.

sonichouse
    Participant

Have you enabled the “Process Playlists” option as well in the advanced config screen ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I saw a few references to the “Advanced Config” screen, but I can’t find them. (Is that a Windows only config tool?). I running it on Fedora, and the config file is /etc/ mt-daapd.conf

The “Smart Playlist” option was left at the default, and I changed the process_m3u to “1′. It shows up as enabled in the status portion of the firefly web server pages.

Is this the right was to do it?

/etc/mt-daapd.conf

#
    # playlist (optional)
    #
    # This is the location of a playlist file.
    # This is for Apple-style “Smart Playlists”
    # See the mt-daapd.playlist file in the
    # contrib directory for syntax and examples
    #
    # This doesn’t control static playlists… these
    # are controlled with the “process_m3u” directive
    # below.
    #

playlist /etc/mt-daapd.playlist

#
    # process_m3u
    #
    # By default m3u processing is turned off, since most m3u files
    # sitting around in peoples mp3 directories have bad paths, and
    # I hear about it. 🙂
    #
    # If you are sure your m3u files have good paths (i.e. unixly pathed,
    # with relative paths relative to the directory the m3u is in), then
    # you can turn on m3u processing by setting this directive to 1.
    #
    # I’m not sure “unixly” is a word, but you get the idea.
    #

process_m3u 1

From /var/log/messages:

Jan 2 12:49:32 server2 mt-daapd[28146]: Starting rendezvous daemon
    Jan 2 12:49:32 server2 mt-daapd[28149]: Current database version: 8
    Jan 2 12:49:32 server2 mt-daapd[28149]: Starting signal handler
    Jan 2 12:49:32 server2 mt-daapd[28149]: Loading playlists
    Jan 2 12:49:32 server2 mt-daapd[28149]: Initializing database
    Jan 2 12:49:32 server2 mt-daapd[28149]: Starting mp3 scan
    Jan 2 12:49:32 server2 mt-daapd[28149]: Starting web server from usr/share/mt-daapd/admin-root on port 3689
    Jan 2 12:49:32 server2 mt-daapd[28149]: Registering rendezvous names
    Jan 2 12:49:32 server2 mt-daapd[28149]: Scanned 1462 songs in 0 seconds

sonichouse
    Participant

My config has

process_playlists = 1
    process_m3u = 1

If you go to the html page for your firefly server e.g. localhost:3689 you will see a Config page, at the top of that page is an advanced config link.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This was the problem. The scanner goes line by line through the m3u file “validating” the path. I thought firefly would just serve up the m3u file, but it actually serves up all the files in the playlist.

2008-01-02 13:11:48: Playlist entry /export/music/playlists/http://www.mynetwork.com/music/rush_bravest_face.mp3 bad: No such file or directory

I have all the entries in the m3u file as URLs so I can use them with other clients with other servers. I guess firefly would have to be able to read them from the URL then re-server them, that looks messy. It looks like I need to go through all the playlist and change the paths.

EVILRipper
    Participant

This sounds more like a bug to me.
    I guess the scanner doesnt support URL playlists (yet?).
    *looks at Ron*
    Sounds like a new feature to me?

rpedde
    Participant

@EVILRipper wrote:

This sounds more like a bug to me.
    I guess the scanner doesnt support URL playlists (yet?).
    *looks at Ron*
    Sounds like a new feature to me?

That really isn’t the way that it’s set up to work right now. The way iTunes wants to see stuff is one “media object” (url or file) per playlist item — the playlist has to be backed by a real media object. I had been doing that with .url files (and that’s still doable — making url files and making a playlist of those), but I’ve recently expanded the db schema to be able to represent media objects that don’t really exist, and are only present in the abstract inside a playlist.

I’ve also recently changed the io code so I can have different protocol handlers, so a http redirector is now possible (for client’s that don’t understand radio station urls), where it really wasn’t before.

So yeah, I have most of the infrastructure in place finally to be able to do this. I think first thing is to stabilize the quivering pile of fecund code that I’ve got first, then work toward this.

But this is something I’d like to be able to better support. Soon, soon… lemme gets something stable put together first!

— Ron

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.