You are here: Home » Topic » Mac OSX – 1.0b3 — cannot restart Firefly?

Mac OSX – 1.0b3 — cannot restart Firefly?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rpedde 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

scott

Hi. I just downloaded the Mac OSX version of Firefly and it seemed to be working fine. However, when I stopped the server and then tried to restart it, I keep getting the error message “Firefly failed to start.”

Checking the Console log file reveals:
    setting dest to 1
    Error in config file on line 29
    Error reading config file (/Users/scott/Library/Application Support/Firefly/firefly.conf)
    2006-07-30 22:05:27.428 Firefly Helper[1099] Server Task ended with status 1
    Jul 30 22:05:27 reality mt-daapd[1157]: Error in config file on line 29n

In my config file, line 29 is the path to the web_root directory:
    29: web_root = /Users/scott/Library/PreferencePanes/Firefly.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Firefly Helper.app/Contents/Resources/Server/admin-root

I haven’t done anything to edit the config files, so I’m not sure what could be going wrong… I had to uninstall/reinstall Firefly to get it working again, but I got the same result when I tried to stop/restart the server. Any thoughts?

rpedde
    Participant

@scott wrote:

Hi. I just downloaded the Mac OSX version of Firefly and it seemed to be working fine. However, when I stopped the server and then tried to restart it, I keep getting the error message “Firefly failed to start.”

Checking the Console log file reveals:
    setting dest to 1
    Error in config file on line 29
    Error reading config file (/Users/scott/Library/Application Support/Firefly/firefly.conf)
    2006-07-30 22:05:27.428 Firefly Helper[1099] Server Task ended with status 1
    Jul 30 22:05:27 reality mt-daapd[1157]: Error in config file on line 29n

In my config file, line 29 is the path to the web_root directory:
    29: web_root = /Users/scott/Library/PreferencePanes/Firefly.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Firefly Helper.app/Contents/Resources/Server/admin-root

I haven’t done anything to edit the config files, so I’m not sure what could be going wrong… I had to uninstall/reinstall Firefly to get it working again, but I got the same result when I tried to stop/restart the server. Any thoughts?

Did you install it for yourself, or for all users?

scott

I had installed it just for myself. Uninstalling and re-installing for all users seems to have cleared it up. Thanks!

rpedde
    Participant

@scott wrote:

I had installed it just for myself. Uninstalling and re-installing for all users seems to have cleared it up. Thanks!

Still very peculiar. Are you using encrypted home dirs, maybe?

scott

The only thing I can think of that might be different is that I don’t have my iTunes music in my home folder. Instead it’s at
    /Users/Shared/iTunes Music/

I move it out of my home directory when I was thinking about turning on FileVault, but I ended up deciding not to use FileVault after all.

rpedde
    Participant

@scott wrote:

The only thing I can think of that might be different is that I don’t have my iTunes music in my home folder. Instead it’s at
    /Users/Shared/iTunes Music/

I move it out of my home directory when I was thinking about turning on FileVault, but I ended up deciding not to use FileVault after all.

Wonder if it’s a permissions thing, then?

andyg
    Participant

Ron,

I’ve been getting the same thing periodically as well. Only solution is to uninstall & reinstall.

I run just the admin account, with firefly installed for that user only. My music folder is installed on a second internal HD.

I haven’t messed with permissions:

owner is andyg – access is read & write
    group is andyg – access read only
    others – read only

This has happened across the builds, I’m currently on the most recent of the nightlies.

Andy

andyg
    Participant

ok, so since sending that last message I uninstalled/reinstalled. Firefly started fine, then I stopped it & got the firefly failed to start message.

I’ve emailed you (Ron) the log file… the debug was set to 9.

rpedde
    Participant

@andyg wrote:

ok, so since sending that last message I uninstalled/reinstalled. Firefly started fine, then I stopped it & got the firefly failed to start message.

I’ve emailed you (Ron) the log file… the debug was set to 9.

Great. that will help. Thanks.

andyg
    Participant

Ron,

noodled around a bit today & here are some observations/stuff I did:

repaired disc permissions & ran disc warrior, still getting regular instances of firefly not restarting. Uninstalls fine – both manually & using the uninstall script – installs & fires up ok, but still dies when I stop/restart.

Pointed firefly just to the itunes folder on the 2nd hd and ignored the music folder in /andyg/music – still dies.

Have also had several occasions of firefly running, try to access the log & it crashes system prefs.

have done some of this on both the most recent nightly & the stable build, same situation.

FYI…

andyg
    Participant

Ron,

don’t know how you’re getting on with those log files but I think I have narrowed it down to the web interface that’s causing firefly not to restart.

D/l’d the latest nightly & installed. Did my usual routine & it failed to start. Then decided to not change the debug level (ie. leave it at 0) & it appears to have stabilised. Can stop & start the server at will. maybe I’m just not seeing it, but am I right in thinking that the debug level can only be changed in the web interface rather than the config file? My theory being that I enter my admin p/w in the config file (using textwrangler) and I have no problem doing that & firefly remains stable but when changing the debug value in the interface then that’s when firefly dies… I think the same situation occurs if I try to add a music folder in the interface rather than through the actual config file. so could be that it prefers the information to be written from the file itself rather than the web interface and that’s where my problem lies.

the other thing I found is that rather than having to point to both the physical location of my music files (2nd internal HD) & to the ~/Music/ folder in Users, Firefly seems happy just pointed to the ~/Music/ folder (where there’s also the .xml file). It finds my music fine and plays it. You may remember my post previously about the metadata being left off .aiff files hence the need to point to both locations. So far this seems to have cured it! I’ll keep an eye on things though.

cheers, andy

andyg
    Participant

Ron,

downloaded the latest nightly (v.1372) and it seems to have cured all my woes. Don’t know what you did, but it looks like it fixed the gremlins.

Many thanks! Andy

rpedde
    Participant

@andyg wrote:

downloaded the latest nightly (v.1372) and it seems to have cured all my woes. Don’t know what you did, but it looks like it fixed the gremlins.

Thought it would. No I just have to endeavour to not break it again. 🙂

— Ron

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.