Losing Library when VPN not running!

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Losing Library when VPN not running!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

mt-daapd/Firefly Version: Nightly 1696
    Server Operating System: Win XP SP2
    Server Hardware: Linkstation
    Client Device: Pinnacle Soundbridge HomeMusic
    Also tried using: None
    Connection of clients: Wireless

I ran up Firefly yesterday and scanned in my music library (WMA VBR75 no DRM) fine and it served up the SoundBridge no problem.
    Hibernated for the night and this morning FireFly cannot see the media library and eventually decided it wasn’t there and cleared down it’s database. The Soundbridge was talking to Firefly fine. I can see the network share with the files on the linkstation with Windows explorer on the same machine.

I tried various things and then remembered that when I had installed Firefly I was running a VPN connection (Windows VPN) so I fired that up, hit full scan on the web interface and hey-presto Firefly could see the library again. The thing is that I lost the VPN connection several times yesterday and that didn’t seem to bother Firefly then.

Any suggestions? I don’t really want to have the VPN running all the time.

Unfortunartely I have restarted Firefly so I no longer have the log file.

Web interface: Yes I can connect to the web interface?
    iTunes XML file: No

EVILRipper
    Participant

So.. If I understand your problem, Firefly dies as soon as you lose your VPN connection?

The main reason I can think of, is that you aren’t running Firefly as a service. I believe I have seen an option in the Windows Firefly configuration to start firefly as a service, instead of a “current” running process. This way, firefly should keep running in the background, not caring about anyone logging in.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi. No it’s not quite that simple. If I disconnect the VPN firefly keeps scanning. I’ll take a look and see if I can find the option you referred to but I haven’t seen it yet, I just ran the standard Windows install. I do log back in when resuming from Hibernate/suspend.

Thanks

Paul

rpedde
    Participant

@pbaxter wrote:

this morning FireFly cannot see the media library and eventually decided it wasn’t there and cleared down it’s database. The Soundbridge was talking to Firefly fine.

Not sure what this means. Does this mean that the you could see it from the soundbridge but there were no files? Or does it mean that you couldn’t see the firefly server at all from the soundbridge?

If the former, then it’s because at some point firefly must have scanned and not been able to read the files from wherever they were. I think the vpn is unrelated, just that when you kicked off the scan, it just took a while to finish indexing.

That’s a guess.

Might be less trouble to run the firefly server on the linkstation, also, just as an idea.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

It seems that Firefly cannot see the network drive. Soundbridge talks to Firefly fine, it just says there are no files. Firefly kicks off a rescan, cannot see the files and clears down the db. I agree the VPN may be a red herring, it’s just that when I’ve reconnected the VPN and start a rescan it works, but it could just be coincidence.

How would I go about running Firefly on the Linkstation. It is an ‘as shipped’ device at the moment and I have very little Linux experience.

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Been trying out various things, none of which made any difference:
    Restarting machine
    Reinstalling firefly
    Removing drive mappings to network shares
    Using IP address instead of NAS share name

I am now almost certain that it is being connected to the VPN when Firefly scans after machine start that makes the difference. Once the scan has started I can disconnect the VPN at it carries on and will rescan happily with or without VPN until the machine is shut down.

I have VMWare workstation installed and although this is not in use I am aware that installs its own network adaptors so I wonder if this might be a factor. When I get some more time I will try uninstalling VMWare and see if that works, but as it looks right now I don’t think Firefly is going to fly for me ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Anonymous
    Inactive

๐Ÿ™„ Oh dear, oh dear.

Just read the sticy message about Service account settings. Hey presto – it works.

When will I learn? ๐Ÿ˜ณ

rpedde
    Participant

@pbaxter wrote:

๐Ÿ™„ Oh dear, oh dear.

Just read the sticy message about Service account settings. Hey presto – it works.

When will I learn? ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Wow. Didn’t even think of that, as I don’t understand how the vpn stuff would make its suddenly go. Strange!

— Ron

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.