Losing connection

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi ther I am pretty new to firefly and I have a Roku M2000 on order that should arrive this afternoon (they seem to still be available in Auastralia).

I plan on running mt-daap from my linux box which also acts as a firewall/router and a file server. Since i dont have the Roku just yet I am just setting up the linux daemon and testing it with itunes on a windows PC.The details of the linux machine are:

Distro – fedora core 5
    NIC’s – eth0 connects to internet eth1 is LAN 192.168.0.1
    Using avahi daemon (although the RPM forced me to install howl, it is not enabled or running)

The firewall is setup to allow all traffic from 192.168.0.0/24 looking at the firewall logs I dont see any rejections coming the LAN subnet, only hits on public addresses.

Now I have installed mt-daapd from the stable RPM and compiled it and in both cases I end up with the same problem. The itunes client sees the mt-daapd server just fine and can stream MP3’s from it. However after near an hour the server is no longer seen on iTunes. Restarting iTunes does not fix this the only way to see the server again is to restart the mt-daapd daemon.

On these forums I saw another person who had a similar problem which turned out to be a NIC that needed to be set to promiscous mode. I tried that this morning and within an hour I saw the server disappear in iTunes again.
    As a side note looking in the system logs I see that around the time the server disappered there is an entry “mt-daapd[8370] Client 192.168.0.99 disconnected”

Any ideas?

rpedde
    Participant

@anthony-td wrote:

Any ideas?

Server disappears and only reappears when restarting is almost always because multicast is firwalled. Specifically from 224.0.0.251 on port 5353.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok i am using firestarter for the firewall.

I have added the following to the user defined section of the firewall:

$IPT -A INPUT -s 224.0.0.0/8 -d 0/0 -j ACCEPT
    $IPT -A INPUT -s 0/0 -d 224.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT
    $IPT -A OUTPUT -s 224.0.0.0/8 -d 0/0 -j ACCEPT
    $IPT -A OUTPUT -s 0/0 -d 224.0.0.0/8 -j ACCEPT

These are pre applied when the firewall starts up, so they are on top of the input and output chains.

Correct me if I am wrong but that should all all multicast both in and out of both networks?

I have found that this problem reproduces itself within an hour and fifteen minutes so i still have 45 minutes to wait to see if this fixes it. Will let you know.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just confirmed that did not fix it – 1h15min later the server has disappeared from the client.

I am now very quickly running out of options.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just to add some more info:

It is not an hour and quartoer thing – that is how long it takes itunes to drop the server. I have ot have itunes up and running when I start the mtdaapd for iTunes to see it. If i immediatly restart iTunes it does not see the server.

As an experiment I installed fedore on another PC i have and installed mt-daapd on that one and it works perfectly. I then installed my firewall tool (firestarter) and it did not work – however i did see hits on the firewall for the mDNS port. Enabling that port fixed it. On my main PC however i dont see hits on that port and the port is wode open.

I am thinking of rebuilding the machine over the weekend with a spare drive and then incrementally installing everything.

rpedde
    Participant

@anthony-td wrote:

As an experiment I installed fedore on another PC i have and installed mt-daapd on that one and it works perfectly. I then installed my firewall tool (firestarter) and it did not work – however i did see hits on the firewall for the mDNS port. Enabling that port fixed it. On my main PC however i dont see hits on that port and the port is wode open.

Not sure, but those symptoms are in line with firewall issues. Is it possible to uninstall firestarter on that box?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok after formatting my linux installation and performing an entire reinstall I got it up and working. Then after installing firestarter it borke again. It would appear that no motter what rules you put into firestarter, when you enable the connection sharing (NAT) it breaks mt-daapd.

I have rsorted to another firewall package (jay’s firewall) that has a primitive UI but works well anyway.

Thanks for the help

Anthony

eschoeller
    Participant

I am having the same problem, however I haven’t been able to determine the amount of time mt-daapd stays visible.

I find it hard to imagine that it is a firewall problem as I have this:

-I INPUT 1 –source 0/0 –destination 0/0 –jump ACCEPT

in my INPUT chain, So I am accepting all packets. mt-daapd disappears from itunes after a certain period of time, and restarting mt-daapd makes it reappear. I am using avahi, could this be the problem?

eschoeller
    Participant

I am using mt-daapd with avahi and dbus support.

I’m running on gentoo linux svn 1376. I was using a firewall (just a set of rules, nothing like shorewall etc) and ran into the same problem described above.

I removed the firewall completely, aka, no rules and default policies of ACCEPT, and the connection still dropped.

I started the server at 14:53, and it dissappeared at 16:02 – so this was an hour and 9 minutes as opposed to the hour and 15 mentioned above.

I will continue to restart the server throughout the day and time when the connection drops.

Besides the firewall, what else could cause this dropout?

rpedde
    Participant

@eschoeller wrote:

I am using mt-daapd with avahi and dbus support.

I wonder if it is a howl-compat problem with avahi? Not to try and dodge blame, but just as a thought.

I keep meaning ot add the native avahi interface, just haven’t done it. Maybe this is a push to make me do that.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.