Location of itunes.itl and itunes.xml files

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Location of itunes.itl and itunes.xml files

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bivvy
    Participant

I’m probably being a bit dense, but here goes.

I have an NSLU2 running the latest nightly.
    I have a folder on the slug, /music and I have mounted this on my PC as drive z:
    In Itunes (7.0.2), I have set the Itunes Music Folder location to Z:iTunesiTunes Music
    And Firefly on the slug is set to look here and has picked up all the music beautifully.

Now the problem. The Itunes.xml and Itunes.itl files are still on the C drive of my computer at C:Documents and SettingsChrisMy DocumentsMy MusiciTunes. Any changes I make in Itunes to ratings, playlists etc seem to be stored here and are therefore not being picked up on the slug.

Is there any way I can get Itunes to store these files on the z drive instead, or will I just have to manually copy them across every time I make a change?

Thanks

Chris

stretch
    Participant

Is there any way I can get Itunes to store these files on the z drive instead

No, you’ll have to copy them across

bivvy
    Participant

Thanks – tried that and for some reason the playlists are not updating on Firefly.

I’ve restarted the server using

/opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf -f

and I am seeing three different error messages

1. The one I think is the problem:

Attempt to add duplicate playlist: 'The Mix' type: 3, path: /music/iTunes Music Library.xml, idx: 1068145332
    err adding playlist The Mix

There is a similar line for every single playlist in the .xml file
    2. A second error message that doesn’t seem to matter

Cannot resolve /opt/share/mt-daapd/admin-root//status.html

3. A whole load of meta code errors such as

Unknown meta code: daap.songalbumartist
    Unknown meta code: daap.songcategory
    etc

Any ideas? I’m running iTunes 7.0.2.16

Chris
    [/code]

rpedde
    Participant

@bivvy wrote:

Thanks – tried that and for some reason the playlists are not updating on Firefly.

They won’t — you’d have to copy the files every time you made a change in iTunes.

In this thread is a discussion of how to move your whole iTunes to the server, though, which will make it read the iTunes xml file okay.

— Ron

bivvy
    Participant

Thanks Ron – not sure quite what I was doing wrong, as I was copying the .xml file across each time I made a change to the play lists. There may have been an old copy nestling away in a sub directory – hence the duplicate playlist errors, although the behaviour did not appear to be consistent.

I have now cleaned up the network drive, made sure there is only one copy of the .xml file and everything appears to be working fine.

BTW – I have opted to use the “tweakui” powertoy:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

and change “My Computer” -> “Special Folders” -> “My Music” to z: (which is mapped to \mediaslugmusic).

This works beautifully. 😛

rpedde
    Participant

@bivvy wrote:

and change “My Computer” -> “Special Folders” -> “My Music” to z: (which is mapped to \mediaslugmusic).

This works beautifully. 😛

Good to hear.. I’m going to try this myself soon. Looks like the best solution to the problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.