Listen to same music in 2 rooms

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    TheArchedOne

I want to listen to the same piece of music on my pc in one room and streamed to another room. I want the music to be in sync so I don’t notice a jump when I walk from one room to the other.

I was thinking about buying the Roku Soundbridge M1001. Will I be able to do this using firefly?

TheArchedOne

sonichouse
    Participant

Using firefly clients are independent.

Slimserver has some support for this, but Roku support for slimserver is IMO flaky.

beeka
    Participant

@sonichouse wrote:

Slimserver has some support for this, but Roku support for slimserver is IMO flaky.

I have tried using slimserver with an M1001 and M2000. Synchronisation was not good – I could get one song in sync but they fell out of sync very quickly (like after a couple of songs).

Others have reported success with running a shoutcast server and having both devices connect to what is essentially an internet radio station for your house. There is more information on the Roku forums about doing that.

I don’t know if it is feasible for Firefly to be modified to support one data stream controlled by two devices, but I imagine it would be a non-trivial change. This is especially so when you consider that devices might have different buffer sizes.

In the end, as my house is rather small, the most effective solution was to just use one device and turn the volume up 🙂

Steve.

dovad
    Participant

Pickup an Apple AirportExpress and call it a day. The synchronization is perfect!

ccomley
    Participant

@dovad wrote:

Pickup an Apple AirportExpress and call it a day. The synchronization is perfect!

You interest me stragnely as I’ve just picked up a SoundBridgeRadio. This is pissing me off as I now find it doesn’t have a wired ethernet connection, unlike me SB. And if I want it to sync output with the SB, then the Airport might win on two counts (a) it’ll give me an 802.11g base, I currently only use 802.11a and I bet the Radio doesnt’ support that and (b) the sync thing.

I presume the Airport will want to talk to Itunes running on something? or will it talk to Firefly?

dovad
    Participant

The AirPort Express works with iTunes for the most part. I also run an application called “Airfoil” from rogue amoeba which will capture audio from just about any application and play it through AirPort Expresses. The one downside to Airfoil is that the synchronization between the computer and the AirPort Expresses has a delay of a couple of seconds. The AirPort Expresses will lag the computer. Other than the lag Airfoil works very well. I have Mac’s and I believe Airfoil is also available for Windows as well but you have to check the site to be certain.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com

Good luck…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.