Limit Smart Playlist Length

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I think it would be really cool if playlists could be limited in length. For example:

genre includes “rock” limit length 5 songs

genre includes “rock” limit length 20 minutes

I guess that this could be simplified to only use a number of songs with something like:

genre includes “rock” AND song_length >= 180 AND song_length

Post edited by: ajayre, at: 2006/03/06 16:53

Anonymous
    Inactive

Post edited by: ajayre, at: 2006/03/06 16:56

Anonymous
    Inactive

Continued:

genre includes “rock” AND song_length >= 180 AND song_length < = 240 limit 5 songs

would produce a playlist 15 – 20 minutes long.

Looking back through the forum, it appears that an SQL syntax was supported for smart playlists. Is this still supported? I know it could do what I want as well as other things like ordering a playlist, which I also would like to do.

Andy

Post edited by: ajayre, at: 2006/03/06 16:58

Anonymous
    Inactive

Posting a < symbol chops the rest of your post off from that point onwards.

Andy

Post edited by: ajayre, at: 2006/03/06 16:57

rpedde
    Participant

Yeah, it *used* to be raw sql, but moved away, as it made it impossible to have a non-sql backend, or a backend that used a different dialect. For example, almost every db has different limit statements, so something that worked on sqlite wouldn’t work on mysql, which wouldn’t work on postgres, which *certainly* wouldn’t work on gdbm. And so forth.

Also, I eventually hope to be able to use playlists as a base library — for example, have a smart playlist like:

kids songs: comment !includes “explicit”

and then have a username and password (kids/kids), that uses that playlist as the “base” playlist. Then every other playlist would be a subselect on that one. It would be reasonably easy to do if the playlist was a simple where clause without sort info.

If that makes sense.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.