Lightweight Linux Client

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi guys,

I recently picked up a Netbook for myself and so I’ve got a Linux laptop running. With an 8gb SSD, it’s not really practical to take my music around on it, so it’d be nice to be able to stream it over my network.

What I’m looking for is a lightweight but functional Linux player that can do this type of thing. I’m sure Amarok, aTunes and Songbird can and I’ll look into them in a bit if it turns out they’re the best for this, but I’m mostly concerned with using the newer protocol offers with all of its superior features. Is there anything that can do this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don’t know how lightweight it is, but Rhythmbox is a Firefly client.

EVILRipper
    Participant

I guess you mean a client using the RSP protocol.
    Knowing the fact that there is no RSP documentation to be found, I doubt there is any known client out there.
    One client that does use RSP, is fireplay.
    I guess it’s kinda lightweight, as it is simply a flash applet in a browser.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good point EVILRipper.

FirePlay is a much lighter-weight option. I’ve used it to access my music at home from the office over the Internet and it’s very lightweight.

I’ve also used the Firefly Java Client in the same manner. I’m don’t use Linux on my laptop (Windows Vista) and wasn’t thinking about the cross-platform solutions.

RigasW
    Participant

I would recommend the Firefly Java Client. Stable, fast, and you can create playlists with it.

Rigas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.