iTunes +Ubuntu Server

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Holmes89

I run an Ubuntu server and would like it to host my music that I can connect to beyond my local network. I wish to do this because I would like to not load my laptop with music to preserve space. So will Firefly allow me to host music on my Ubuntu Server and allow me to access it anywhere?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Holmes89 wrote:

I run an Ubuntu server and would like it to host my music that I can connect to beyond my local network. I wish to do this because I would like to not load my laptop with music to preserve space. So will Firefly allow me to host music on my Ubuntu Server and allow me to access it anywhere?

The Daap protocol is only seen by devices on the local network. There are ways around this limitation.

One way is to use Hamachi, which is a very easy to configure software based VPN. All devices that join the same VPN network with Hamachi will appear to each other as being on the same subnet. Hamachi can run on Ubuntu.

EVILRipper
    Participant

There have been several projects from fanatics who have created different solutions to reach firefly from outside your local network.

Ofcourse, all these applications require the port to be forwarded.

Examples:
    – Fireplay; A browser-based flash application, which can search music and instantly stream it.
    – DaapPlaylistGenerator; An application which generates a playlist of the complete database known by firefly, and outputs it into a .m3u playlist file. This is practically a playlist of streams, which can be accessed from anywhere on the net.

These applications can be found in the Add-On software forum.

Another way is by using RendezvousProxy to forward the local port to the remote port of firefly, which makes your comp think he is local with firefly. The shared library then shows up in iTunes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.