iTunes Shares disappears – Trouble

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues iTunes Shares disappears – Trouble

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    pmviana

Hi,

I recently installed Firefly over my NSLU2 Unslung that is running TwonkyMedia/Vision media server also. The system is unslung to a flash drive and the music is in a Maxtor One Touche IV.

Everything seems to be ok, but when I start iTunes (latest release) the shares folder disappears after 10 seconds. I dont have any chance to see or play the shared music.

Its no firewall problem. I could get it working one time, but when restarted iTunes it was broken again

Can you help me?

Thanks

rpedde
    Participant

@pmviana wrote:

Hi,

I recently installed Firefly over my NSLU2 Unslung that is running TwonkyMedia/Vision media server also. The system is unslung to a flash drive and the music is in a Maxtor One Touche IV.

Everything seems to be ok, but when I start iTunes (latest release) the shares folder disappears after 10 seconds. I dont have any chance to see or play the shared music.

Its no firewall problem. I could get it working one time, but when restarted iTunes it was broken again

Can you help me?

Thanks

That happens when the server can’t see multicast queries. Either it’s a firewall on the server side (the NSLU2), or it’s the ntwork in between. If there is a wireless router between, see if the admin page of the router has an option to enable multicast (or maybe IGMP, or upnp).

See what that does.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

It sounds like I have a similar problem, but I do not know how to troubleshoot/fix. I have an HP 475. The server finds and gathers my Itunes library, but once it has completed copying all the songs, it goes from “Enabled” to “Disabled”. When I enable it again, it will appear on my network for about 10-15 seconds, then it disables and disappears. I have contacted HP, but so far they have not solved the problem. We have deleted the Itunes library from the server and allowed it to reacquire the database with the same results. Itunes streams from the server while the library is being populated, but disables when complete. My library is 173gig, so this takes a long time during which Itunes shares properly to all PC’s until completed. Then, it is gone again.

The entire network is hardwired. No wireless. I have Verizon Fios so the modem/router is Actiontec. (Upnp is enabled!) Greatly appreciate any help!

Bob

rpedde
    Participant

@ssart wrote:

My library is 173gig, so this takes a long time during which Itunes shares properly to all PC’s until completed. Then, it is gone again.

My guess is that there is a file or something that is making it crash.

Being a headless machine, it’s tough to troubleshoot the windows home servers, but here’s generally how.

Log into the console of the server by using windows terminal services (start -> run -> mstsc). Connect tot he server using a username of administrator, and a password of whatever your home-server password is.

Once you are at the console, use notepad to edit c:program filesfirefly media servermt-daapd.conf

Change (or add, if it isn’t there) an option called “debuglevel” with a value of 5 in the [general] section.

Then, delete the songs3.db file and start the firefly server.

It will crank around, indexing the music for a while. At some point it will crash. When it does, look at the log file in c:program filesfirefly media serverfirefly.log.

Find the last song it tried to index and move it out of the way. Then start it again and repeat as necessary.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ron, thank you!!! Problem solved. Followed your instructions and sure enough, it was one song in the library that had not imported correctly from the original CD. As soon as I deleted it everything worked.

Many, many thanks!

Bob

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.