iTunes Settings with Firefly on NAS

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    squashuax
    Participant

I’d like to learn how changing settings in iTunes might affect my current firefly setup. Here is how I am handling my music right now:
    iTunes is installed on my PC
    I have a Maxtor MSS+ NAS connected to my network through Linksys WRT54GS
    Firefly is installed on the NAS, and serving music wirelessly (& nicely!) to a Roku Soundbridge M1001
    I copied the “my music” folder on my PC to a “my music” folder on the NAS
    I set the “iTunes music folder location” in iTunes to the musicitunesitunes music folder on the NAS

Can anyone tell me what each of the settings below does, and how changes will affect the system described above?

“Keep iTunes Music folder organized” ?

“Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library” ?

rpedde
    Participant

@squashuax wrote:

“Keep iTunes Music folder organized” ?

When you change tag information on a file, it will move it to the right place in the file system. For example, if you change the artist from “Beatles” to “The Beatles”, it will move the file from “Music/Beatles/Song.mp3” to “Music/The Beatles/Song.mp3”.

“Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library” ?

When you add a song to iTunes, it will copy it to the iTunes folder (the nas) instead of just referencing the place where it is. So if you add it from the desktop, iTunes won’t have a reference to the song on the desktop, it will copy it to the nas, and use that as the path to the music.

squashuax
    Participant

Thanks.

Keeps getting better. Playlists not quite working yet, but maybe after a full scan.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.