iTunes server compatibility with Apple iPhone ‘Remote’ app

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Feature Requests iTunes server compatibility with Apple iPhone ‘Remote’ app

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Good stuff. By the way, I did buy an Airport Express this weekend for $100 at the local Apple store, and hooked up an all-Apple solution, as intended, using a Mac Mini as the server. This is AWESOME. In fact it’s so good, I’m not sure how motivated I am to bother with an open solution :). Still, I will probably tinker with these pieces, now that I’m getting pretty familiar with the forked-daapd code.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So, I have worked on this a little more in case anyone is interested. It turns out there is a LOT of overlap in the functionality of a DAAP server, and the DACP server needed to talk to iPhone Remote. In a sample 3-hour session of regular use, 76% of the traffic between iPhone Remote and iTunes on the mac were “databases” calls–the bread and butter of a DACP server. I am now starting to think the right course of action is to implement support for the particular database calls that iPhone Remote makes in an open DAAP server (I work in forked-daapd, but the principle applies to Firefly too), and then add in a module (perhaps a plugin) that responds to “ctrl-int” requests by sending commands to the player via RAOP. And, of course, the pairing, but that should be fairly trivial.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ace:
    I am VERY interested in this implementation.

I have been looking for a music streaming solution via wifi. I believe that the airport express is one of the most cost effective options available and streaming from itunes works well.

HOWEVER

The one item that seems to be missing is some type of server support with itunes. I have a WHS and since this computer is always running in the house, it would be ideal to be the media repository. It would also be ideal to use an iphone or itouch via the Remote app to control it. Doing this would give you the same functionality as a sonos system for less than 1/10th the cost.

Currently in order to use the Remote app you must have an instance of iTunes running and this is not easily feasible with a WHS since a user must be logged in for the software to run. There are workarounds (anyserviceinstaller.exe) but they are cumbersome.

Please, keep us updated on your progress!

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is a plugin for MediaMonkey called MonkeyTunes that does exactly what we talked about: Pairing the original iPhone Remote app with a third party software (MediaMonkey in this case).

Guess others will come up with this soon. So who wants to be the first to write an extension for firefly 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is ultimately what I would like to have set up too.

I’m a coder, but sadly I have no C/c++ skills and not likely to acquire any anytime soon…those with small children will understand 🙂

I’ve seen that there is an Iphone remote for firefly already (crossfire, http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffmcrossfire/). Perhaps this could be used instead of the iphone remote (apple itunes one) and so avoid this part of the development.

Anyway, at some point I’ll buy an apple express and initially settle for having the macbook fired up to use it.

Haim

Anonymous
    Inactive

dixie above has mentioned he has setup a similar setup
    http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?id=4440

Looks to me the functionality that is being talked about. I presume dixie you are Kai from the other forum? Or have just followed the instructions?

Anyway, it was using mpd, raop-play and an mpd iphone remote app. No firefly.

Pretty cool. I need to scrape up some funds for an apple express and nas now!

Anonymous
    Inactive

The good news is, I can say this is going to happen. Julien Blache and I both have the hardware, and are working on a service you can control with iPhone/iPod Touch and plays over APX. I added the necessary database API’s for the iPhone to interact with the database, Julien is getting it to pair and login right now.

The bad news for our friends running WHS, is that is happening in forked-daapd, which runs only on Linux–and will run only on Linux until someone wants to contribute WHS support.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m still confused. All the remote application does is change music remotely, from the Library on a computer with iTunes. The only support would be to change the music streaming to the computer with iTunes from Firefly using the remote… and the only problem with it is that the Remote application itself can’t see shared libraries. It can change through the songs in the library, as long as they’re in order though. Anybody care to explain what’s trying to be accomplished?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ace,

This is outstanding news. I’ve been waiting for this for A LONG time. Any idea when you guys expect to have this available?

-mw

Anonymous
    Inactive

Has anyone made any progress on this? I’d love to run Firefly as an Itunes server for my AppleTV but as I’m sure you know it’s asks for the auth code just like the iphone remote app.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.