itunes playlists are not updated

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    John Samuels
    Participant

for sometime I’ve been using my roku soundbridge with itunes without issue. About six months ago I was forces to update my itunes to 7.0.1.8 and thus needed to download Bonjour and Firefly ( 1.0 svn 1359) to get the roku to recongnize the itunes library and playlists. Everything seemed to be working.

Over time I added music (MP3) to both my itunes library and playlists. While Firefly and the Roku would update the library, it would not update the playlists. The playlist content was exactly the same as when the software was installed.

In the smart playlist page, the library is listed as “smart” while the itunes playlist names are listed as “static (itunes xml)”.

On the configuration page, the music folder is listed as “C:Documents and SettingsOwnerMy DocumentsMy Music” and the playlist file is set as “C:Documents and SettingsOwnerMy DocumentsMy MusiciTunesiTunes Music Library.xml”. both are the correct destinations. Finally the database scan type is set as “2 -painfully agressive” with a 600 sec interval.

So the question is, how do i get firefly and my soundbridge to update the itunes playlists?

Thanks

rpedde
    Participant

@John Samuels wrote:

So the question is, how do i get firefly and my soundbridge to update the itunes playlists?

There are a couple possibilities for the cause of the problem. One was a change in the behavior of the format that apple writes the iTunes Music Library.xml file in.

The other is that it might be that there are multiple copies of your iTunes Music Library.xml in your “My Music” folder, and you are seeing playlists from the “old” copy.

So try a “find files” under “my music” and see if you find more than just the 1 .xml file. (Note that the server tries to interpret any xml file as an iTunes xml file, so just search for *.xml).

The other items are fixed by newer versions of the server. In the roku forums (http://www.rokulabs.com/forums) for firefly is a sticky for the 1.1 beta version. You could also try the latest nightly at http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org. Either of those would fix the issues with the iTunes xml format.

Please let us know what that does.

— Ron

John Samuels
    Participant

I did a search and found an old itunes XML mixed in with my music. Deleted it, rescanned the library and it is fully updated.

Thank you much.

John

creese
    Participant

I am having a similar problem. I am running version 1586 on a NSLU2. The playlist was created the first time using a copy of the windows iTunes Music Library.xml file (from version 7.2.0.35) placed in the NSLU music folder.
    Now when I change the playlist in itunes and then recopy the file to the NSLU2 it stays the same as the first playlist I loaded in.
    I have rescanned a number of times both full and regular. I have stopped the server and restarted it. No change to the playlists.
    Any thoughts?

rpedde
    Participant

@creese wrote:

I am having a similar problem. I am running version 1586 on a NSLU2. The playlist was created the first time using a copy of the windows iTunes Music Library.xml file (from version 7.2.0.35) placed in the NSLU music folder.
    Now when I change the playlist in itunes and then recopy the file to the NSLU2 it stays the same as the first playlist I loaded in.
    I have rescanned a number of times both full and regular. I have stopped the server and restarted it. No change to the playlists.
    Any thoughts?

Are you getting the right xml file? And not a backup or something?

Also, is there another xml file hiding somewhere in the nslu mp3 directory? That might be overriding the changes you make.

That’s about all I can think of if you see the iTunes playlists, but they don’t update.

— Ron

creese
    Participant

I deleted all xml files from the nslu. I then rescanned and it removed all playlists (as expected). I copied the xml file from the itunes directory back to the nslu into the base folder. I rescan and my playlist names are there but there are zero songs listed in them.

from windows xp perspective the directory is as follows s:/itunes.xml
    where the music is s:/itunes/song folders. I think I tried to move the xml file one level below into the itunes folder above the song folders but it would not pick up even the playlist names after a rescan at that point.

Any help?

rpedde
    Participant

@creese wrote:

I deleted all xml files from the nslu. I then rescanned and it removed all playlists (as expected). I copied the xml file from the itunes directory back to the nslu into the base folder. I rescan and my playlist names are there but there are zero songs listed in them.

from windows xp perspective the directory is as follows s:/itunes.xml
    where the music is s:/itunes/song folders. I think I tried to move the xml file one level below into the itunes folder above the song folders but it would not pick up even the playlist names after a rescan at that point.

Any help?

No, but if you set up a 9 debuglevel and specify a logfile, then do a full rescan and email me the log file it generates, I can find out. I’ve heard a couple people say that, and I’m not entirely sure what the issue is.

I’d sure like to see a good debuglog of it happening.

Oh, you can email it to me at [email protected]

— Ron

vankickem
    Participant

hi,
    i have the same problem.My old Playlists are ok, but when i make a new one in Itunes and copy the xml file on my NSLU2 the playlist is there, but no songs in it.
    On my Ipod the Playlists are ok, my old Playlists too,only when i make a new
    Playlist.I have make a new “songs.db” and a new Full Scan but my new Playlists are empty.
    What can i Do?
    René

vankickem
    Participant

hi,

ok, my problem was that i have copied the files from my Windows Pc on my NSLU2 over “samba” with the samba user “rene”.Mt-daapd has no rights in folder creadted from “rene”
    I have changed the rights and make a rescan.Everything is ok now.

thanks

Rene

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m also having problems updating playlists on the slug. Have changed permissions on the xml file but that doesn’t appear to have done the trick. Ron, I’ve zipped & emailed a logfile set to 9 for your perusal… 🙁

The playlist to look out for is Live Shows, that’s the one added recently & the first addition to my playlists since originally sorting out my slug. The xml file floats in the /mp3/ folder, the level above the iTunes music folder & in the configuration the music folder is pointed to /share/flash/data/mp3

cheers, andy

EDIT: tried this as well followed by a full scan and still it shows 0 entries in the Live Shows playlist on the slug:

G5:~ andyg$ scp /Users/andyg/Music/iTunes/"iTunes Music Library.xml" [email protected]:/share/flash/data/mp3
    Enter passphrase for key '/Users/andyg/.ssh/id_dsa':
    iTunes Music Library.xml 100% 7422KB 1.8MB/s 00:04

and here’s the snippet in the xml file as it is on the slug:

NameLive Shows
    Playlist ID15499
    Playlist Persistent ID4A01D0E6A1EB9107
    All Items
    Playlist Items

Track ID5276

Track ID5272

Track ID5273

Track ID5275

Track ID5274

Track ID5271

Track ID5291

Track ID5284

Track ID5277

Track ID5279

Track ID5278

Track ID5283

Track ID5280

Track ID5285

Track ID5281

Track ID5290

Track ID5287

Track ID5282

Track ID5286

Track ID5289

Track ID5288

so how come it’s not picking it up on a full scan?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.