You are here: Home » Topic » iTunes doesn’t see library

iTunes doesn’t see library

This topic contains 28 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I am running FireFly on Ubuntu and everything seems to be running fine but the library doesn’t show up in iTunes. I have tried with two different Windows XP computers and the library doesn’t show up in either.

This is my first attempt at setting up FireFly so I don’t even know where to start looking. Any information needed just let me know and I will be happy to provide it.

Anonymous

I have now tried to open ports 3689 and 5353 on my firewall and turning off the firewall all together but neither of these worked. I also have music sharing turn on in Banshee and Rhythmbox and iTunes doesn’t see either of these. Banshee and Rythembox also don’t see the shares from FireFly or see each other.

Any ideas what could be going on?

Anonymous

I forgot to mention that I have a Linksys router and “Filter Multicast” is enabled.

sonichouse
    Participant

@Paul41 wrote:

I forgot to mention that I have a Linksys router and “Filter Multicast” is enabled.

What happens if you turn off the filter ?

Anonymous

@sonichouse wrote:

What happens if you turn off the filter ?

Still no luck

fizze
    Participant

What’s the exact model and version of your router?

What are the IP adresses of the soundbridge, and your server and client computers? And how are they connected to each other?

The “Filter multicast” option on a linksys router doesnt block local multicast, but multicast from the internet from appearing in the LAN, btw.
    So that should be turned on, really. 😉

Anonymous

The router is a Linksys WRT54GS.

Servers ip is 192.168.1.102 and the clients are 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.104. What would the soundbridge be and how would i get the ip for that (like I said I’m new to this 🙂 )? All the computers are able to ping each other.

The server is on a wired connection to the router and the clients with iTunes are laptops with a wireless connection. Banshee and Rythembox are both on the box that is acting as the server.

fizze
    Participant

Ok, so the wireless laptop thats serving up is running Ubuntu and the wired PC is running Windows XP, right?

The fact that not even banshee or rhythmbox are able to see firefly’s share on the same computer tells me there is something wrong there 😉

Can you access firefly’s web interface?
    Did you add any songs, can you use the old applet?
    http://localhost:3689/applet.html ? And do the songs play?

IF all thats working, likely avahi/bonjour is acting up.
    iTunes should be able to see a rhytmbox or banshee DAAP share, but not vice versa. I guess it’s best to leave out firefly of the equation until you’ve set network things straight.

Anonymous

Actually the wired pc is the one running Ubuntu and it is serving it up, the wireless laptops both have XP.

I can access the interface and have added music which plays. One thing that I am not sure about is on the “Services” of the web interface it says that Bonjour is stopped but doesn’t give a way to start it.

The fact that not even banshee or rhythmbox are able to see firefly’s share on the same computer tells me there is something wrong there Wink

I had the same thought, I just can’t figure out what it is that is wrong 🙂

Anonymous

I just checked and Ubuntu says the avahi-daemon is running.

fizze
    Participant

Ok, disregard that Bonjour warning. Thats always there on windows.

Ok, so wired – ubuntu serves up to wireless laptops running XP. Right.
    Ok, so firefly is working. I presume that the DAAP plugin is loaded?

Firefly can be set up to use avahi, or its built-in mDNS responder. For the latter case, it wont work when Avahi-daemon is running.

You can try and run avahi in a shell manually and see what pops up.
    You should definetely see Firefly.
    try something along the lines of:

avahi-browse --all

In a shell.
    Give it a few seconds though, just to be sure.

Anonymous

Ok, so wired – ubuntu serves up to wireless laptops running XP. Right.

Yes thats correct

Ok, so firefly is working. I presume that the DAAP plugin is loaded?

Yes it is

You can try and run avahi in a shell manually and see what pops up.
    You should definetely see Firefly.

It never showed anything at all running.

fizze
    Participant

Ok, so either your firewall blocks everything 😀 or – more likely – avahi and mDNS and zeroconf are all at war 😉

Then I guess you should check out firefly’s log file.
    Right after being started, it states various avahi, or mDNS specific stuff.

Also try raising the debuglevel to 5, or 9 before (re-)starting firefly.

Also, what source did you install from, and which package?

jor

I am not sure how much my problem is related, but maybe it may resemble the original posters problem.
    Most part of today I was unsuccesfull in connecting to my (wired) firefly server, then I gave up and went from my (wireless) laptop to my (wired) PC. I started up Itunes and there my Firefly server was, like there is no problem at all.

So after a quick examination I found out that all my wired pc’s can see each other’s shared itunes libraries, and all my wireless pc’s can also see each others shared itunes libraries. But the wired pc’s can’t see the wireless pc’s libraries and vice versa.

So this must be a network error, nothing wrong with firefly. But I’m clueless were to start and I was hoping someone here could give me a few hints?

fizze
    Participant

The culprit is most likely your wireless router or access point.
    There is an option to filter out multicast from wireless to wired interfaces, or enable wireless-wired bridging mode.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.