iTunes crashes with Firefly svn 1498 (Windows XP SP2)

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Nightlies Feedback iTunes crashes with Firefly svn 1498 (Windows XP SP2)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hans.t
    Participant

iTunes works fine when Firefly is not running. However, when Firefly is running after three of four clicks in iTunes, iTunes (7.0.2) crashes. When asked to find the error no report is generated. The iTunes icon is then still visible in the application window in the bottom right part but hovering over it with the mouse the icon disappears.

I have tried the usual solutions: complete reinstalling of iTunes and Firefly, sharing of libraries on and off, restarting PC, etc..

Any suggestions?

fizze
    Participant

where is firefly’s music library located?
    is it the same older as iTunes’?
    And is xml processing turned on?

I guess that firefly locks some files while its doing a scan, which iTunes chokes on, or vice-versa.

You shouldnt have the exact same folder in both, firefly and iTunes. instead copy your iTunes.xml with all the smart playlists whatever to a different folder and have that read by firefly.

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

where is firefly’s music library located?
    is it the same older as iTunes’?
    And is xml processing turned on?

I guess that firefly locks some files while its doing a scan, which iTunes chokes on, or vice-versa.

You shouldnt have the exact same folder in both, firefly and iTunes. instead copy your iTunes.xml with all the smart playlists whatever to a different folder and have that read by firefly.

The only file they “share” which might be dangerous is the iTunes Music Library.xml file. If iTunes sees it locked, though, then it writest the .xml file to a .tmp file and renames it later.

Really shouldn’t be a problem.

The only other thing that might irritate iTunes might be an old version of bonjour? Latest is 1.0.3 available here.

That’s all I can think of. Although doing what fizze suggests will eliminate and file contention problems, so that’s worth trying to see if it stabilizes it.

— Ron

hans.t
    Participant

Thanks for both your comments. I am using the last version of Bonjour Printer and I managed to relocate the itunes library (which wasn’t easy by the way: the standard function of iTunes doesn’t function, so I had to move my movie collection).

The problem is however persistent. I do not get an error in the log of Firefly, and the only mention I get from iTunes is an offset address.

Strangely, I appear to be the only one. I have a normal Windows XP configuration with no special programs… 😳 I thing I found the culprit… I recently installed a program called Allchars which allows for an easy way to type special characters. It may be coincidence, but I am not entirely sure. I have removed the program and will see if it has solved the issue.

I will come to you in the next days,…

awarre

Just recently started using iTunes ,have had Firefly for a while .Two linux computers and two XP works together nicely can listen to any file from any to any computer
    iTunes crashed on me a lot ,lost purchased music (which Apple replaced hours later !!)
    so did some googling
    I have had AllChars for years went to icon closed it opened iTunes and have run it for hours now purposely trying to repeat previous actions to provoke misbehavior but all is well
    so just remember to close AllChars before open iTunes I guess

rpedde
    Participant

@awarre wrote:

Just recently started using iTunes ,have had Firefly for a while .Two linux computers and two XP works together nicely can listen to any file from any to any computer
    iTunes crashed on me a lot ,lost purchased music (which Apple replaced hours later !!)
    so did some googling
    I have had AllChars for years went to icon closed it opened iTunes and have run it for hours now purposely trying to repeat previous actions to provoke misbehavior but all is well
    so just remember to close AllChars before open iTunes I guess

Good info, thanks. Hopefully that was it, and will help someone else with the problem.

— Ron

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.