itunes client

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Adam

Hi,

have just found Firefly and what a relief. My Roku will soon be on order and I can’t wait. I’m just updating the library on the server but have a quick q..

if I use itunes on my laptop am I best to point it to my itunes library on my server or to the firefly playlist? Can I use iTunes as a client of Firefly?

Also when I purchase from the iTunes stores will this automatically go into the server?

Sorry they are probably more iTunes Qs

Thanks

Ad

rpedde
    Participant

@Adam wrote:

if I use itunes on my laptop am I best to point it to my itunes library on my server or to the firefly playlist? Can I use iTunes as a client of Firefly?

You can use iTunes as a client to firefly, it speaks the same language as both iTunes and the Soundbridge. So it can serve both.

There are lots of ways you can use it, but the way I use it is on my main workstation (a g5 imac) where I collect my music. Thats where I purchase music, and that’s where I keep my music.

I synchronize that nightly to a different machine on my network that runs firefly, and it serves the music all the time.

You could, however, run firefly on your main workstation, and then have access to that library from your laptop, and also the soundbridge.

Also when I purchase from the iTunes stores will this automatically go into the server?

If you run the firefly server on the same machine that you buy the songs from, yes. Although be aware that it won’t play on the soundbridge.

— Ron

Adam

@rpedde wrote:

If you run the firefly server on the same machine that you buy the songs from, yes. Although be aware that it won’t play on the soundbridge.

— Ron

Can you explain?

I have currently set it that I have itunes on my mac mini – which Im using as a server. Firefly is set up on there perfectly which the soundbridge will link to. On my laptop I have setup iTunes to read from the server library as default so anything I buy/burn into iTunes should become available over the soundbridge? Or am I missing something?!

Ad

rpedde
    Participant

@Adam wrote:

Can you explain?

Yes, I’m not *exactly* sure how you have your stuff set up. It sounds like perhaps you have your ~/Music directory connected to your mini, and Firefly running on your mini. If so, then that will work.

Generally, Firefly just looks in ~/Music for music files, so as long as new files get thrown in there, it will be happy.

The warning about purchased songs is that the soundbridge won’t play files downloaded from the iTunes store. Neither will *anything* other than iTunes/iPod, as far as I know.

– Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.