iTunes 6.0.5.20 and mt-daapd 0.2.4-1

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues iTunes 6.0.5.20 and mt-daapd 0.2.4-1

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    writeson
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve got mt-daapd 0.2.4-1 running on Kubuntu Dapper Drake (6.06) and it seems to be serving files just fine. I have a Roku Soundbridge M1000 connected to my stereo and it sees the mt-daapd server and plays music well.

On my Windows XP laptop I’ve got iTunes 6.0.5.20 installed and it doesn’t see the mt-daapd server at all. I’ve got the Windows Firewall turned off, so that shouldn’t be a problem. So far I haven’t had any luck finding how to solve/debug this problem, can anyone out there help me? I’d rather not duplicate all the music on the server on the laptop. Is there something I have to do to iTunes to get it to “look” for the server, or should it just see it?

Thanks in advance,
    Doug

rpedde
    Participant

@writeson wrote:

Hi all,

I’ve got mt-daapd 0.2.4-1 running on Kubuntu Dapper Drake (6.06) and it seems to be serving files just fine. I have a Roku Soundbridge M1000 connected to my stereo and it sees the mt-daapd server and plays music well.

On my Windows XP laptop I’ve got iTunes 6.0.5.20 installed and it doesn’t see the mt-daapd server at all. I’ve got the Windows Firewall turned off, so that shouldn’t be a problem. So far I haven’t had any luck finding how to solve/debug this problem, can anyone out there help me? I’d rather not duplicate all the music on the server on the laptop. Is there something I have to do to iTunes to get it to “look” for the server, or should it just see it?

Thanks in advance,
    Doug

Other than the checkbox in preferences for “Search for Shared Music”, that’s it.

Are you on the same subnet as the server?

writeson
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

Just checked to make sure that my laptop is on the same subnet as the mt-daapd server, it is. Here’s my config:

mt-daapd server (Static IP)
    ip : 192.168.1.6
    subnet : 255.255.255.0

windows XP laptop (DHCP)
    ip : 192.168.1.15
    subnet : 255.255.255.0

And the “Look for Shared Music” checkbox is checked.

Soooooo, I’m still stumped.

Doug

rpedde
    Participant

@writeson wrote:

Soooooo, I’m still stumped.

Is there a firewall on the linux box? Can you turn it off for the purposes of experimentation?

If you have iTunes open, and start/stop the mt-daapd server, does it reappear?

What version of mt-daapd? And where did you get the package, or did you compile from source? And if so, what did you configure as a mdns backend?

— Ron

writeson
    Participant

Ron,

There is no firewall on the linux box, though I could install one. I have a Linksys WRT54GS router as the front end to the Internet, and pretty much depend on the NAT’ing to protect my network.

I have tried starting/stoping the mt-daapd server, and it makes no difference to the iTunes running on my WinXP laptop.

I downloaded mt-daapd_0.2.4-1_i386.deb from Sourceforge and installed that on my Kubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) installation. I’m not sure what you mean as the mdns backend, can you be more specific? In looking up mDNS on Google it looks to me like the Zeroconf thing provided by Kubuntu does the mDNS work, though configuring it with Kubuntu seems like it doesn’t do very much.

Thanks,
    Doug

fizze
    Participant

I’d try to get one of the nightlies to compile.
    Seems theres some problems with the Zeroconf/Bonjour/avahi etc part.

rpedde
    Participant

@writeson wrote:

I downloaded mt-daapd_0.2.4-1_i386.deb from Sourceforge and installed that on my Kubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) installation.

It’s very possible that’s a debian vs. ubuntu thing. I’d probably agree with fizze and recompile it on your machine, or build a .deb for the platform you are running. The debian folder is in the tarball, you can use that to build a package. that might work better.

writeson
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’d agree except for one thing, the mt-daapd server shows up on my wife’s WinXP laptop, which is on the same network as my laptop, with the same subnet and all other settings besides her IP.

However, I will try downloading the nightlies and see if I can get it to compile on my Kubuntu system.

Thanks again for your replies,
    Doug

rpedde
    Participant

@writeson wrote:

I’d agree except for one thing, the mt-daapd server shows up on my wife’s WinXP laptop, which is on the same network as my laptop, with the same subnet and all other settings besides her IP.

Oh. Right.

I’m kinda stumped, then. No firewalls anywhere, one machine can see it, another can’t.

Is one wireless (yours) and the other not? If not, I’m seriously out of ideas.

writeson
    Participant

Ron,

Nope, both laptops are wireless. Not to worry, I’m stumped too about why one can see the mt-daapd server and the other can’t. I’m thinking it has to be something on the laptop that can’t see it, just not sure what that could be. Perhaps I’ll put ethereal on that machine and look at the traffic, see if that tells me anything.

I’ll keep you posted,
    Doug

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.