Installing on Intel SS4000-E (general Linux question)

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Installing on Intel SS4000-E (general Linux question)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    cstern
    Participant

I am starting a new “project” – to install firefly on my Intel SS4000-E NAS

So far, I can: Log on to the NAS using SSH, and transfer files via the shared directories and later move them to the right place in the unix file system.

The system is supposedly based on an XScale 80219 processor and does not contain any development tools, incl. ipkg

So in these (probably first in a chain of) questions are

1) How can I tell which architecture and Linux type is on the system? Is there a command to determine this?

2) Do you know of a precompiled ipkg package for this system (assuming XScale)

sonichouse
    Participant

@cstern wrote:

I) How can I tell which architecture and Linux type is on the system? Is there a command to determine this?

You could always try

uname -a
    fizze
    Participant

It’s an XScale alright.
    Maybe this article http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT3184179979.html can help shed some light, too.

I am also considering getting a RAID-5 capable NAS, and I have done some research previously. Cheers for bookmarks-archive! ๐Ÿ™‚

Although in german, this site provides the necessary steps to get a cross-compile-environment going:
    http://www.fbis.ch/index-de.php?page=18&frameset=4

The part of how to set up that toolchain is also available in english here:http://people.debian.org/~debacle/cross/
    You need to get the toolchain for “arm-linux” to be able to compile for the SS4000.

Enjoy!

rpedde
    Participant

@sonichouse wrote:

@cstern wrote:

I) How can I tell which architecture and Linux type is on the system? Is there a command to determine this?

You could always try

uname -a

Also, you can root around proc — can’t have much of a system with proc, so it will be on every linux system.

cat /proc/cpuinfo
    cat /proc/meninfo

would be helpful.

— Ron

Oh, and dmesg is probably useful too… should show all the devices and stuff as the drivers loaded on boot, so long as you do it soon after boot.

cstern
    Participant

Thanks I will try those commands and post the output.

As for the instructions on how to install a toolchain I have run into a deadlock – the machine does not have the apt-get (or any other packet handling system), so I am stuck already on the first step…

Anybody knows how to get apt-get precompiled for XScale?

fizze
    Participant

Nonono, you got it wrong.

You need a proper PC with Linux installed, to compile to stuff there, and then you can just copy/install the binaries to the SS4000-E.

The SS4000-E isn’t self-contained (yet).

cstern
    Participant

Oh, I see. But how can I then make sure I got all the supporting libraries etc – is there a check list somewhere? On the Synology DS107 it was very easy since i could use ipkg which automagically got everything in place.

fizze
    Participant

Quite simply, firefly itself won’t configure / run without all those libs ๐Ÿ˜‰

And I’m sure Ron keeps a dependancy list somewhere. *nudge* *wink*

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Quite simply, firefly itself won’t configure / run without all those libs ๐Ÿ˜‰

And I’m sure Ron keeps a dependancy list somewhere. *nudge* *wink*

Hrm.. it’s locked in my brain.

But you’ll need at a minimum:

1. zlib
    2. libid3tag
    3. sqlite 2.8.x or sqlite 3.x

If you want transcoding, you’ll need

4. libogg
    5. libvorbisfile
    6. libFLAC

And any deps those have.

— Ron

brad.chapin
    Participant

Cstern,
    I also have a SS4000-e and have been trying to get FireFly working on mine as well. I’ve love to help you get yours working as that will get me closer to getting mine working!

With some good notes from someone, I was able to get TwonkyVision to work on mine and I’d be more than happy to share those notes as they do give some ideas on how best to get the software on to the Intel SS4000-e (from public folder), enable SSH, etc. Some good basic Linux command if you’re not super Linux proficient (I know that I’m not)

Of course Firefly is better IHMO than TwonkyVision and I’ve tried a lot of the builds that Ron has put together, but I haven’t been successful with any of them yet. I think that we need an ARM build for Little Endian (ARMEL) to order to make it fly (since that’s the type that I used from Twonky), but I wouldn’t know how to compile that.

I think the SS4000-e is running Linux 2.6.10 is that helps at all. Of the resources that Ron mentions, I don’t think we have any of them preinstalled as I looked in the open source files that Intel makes available for the 1.4 firmware and it doesn’t mention those.

Regards,
    Brad

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.