Installing mt-daapd on Suse 10

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    hhnougat

Hi there,

I’m trying to install mt-daap on a Suse 10 System.

What I want to do is to use an old PC as a media-server. That media-server is supposed to stream music to my roku soundbridge.

During the installation (./configure ) I get an error message which says that sqlite is missing. So I installed sqlite 3.x and tried again to install mt-daapd. What can I say: I wnat get up.

Are there any dependies missing or do I have to install something else previously?

Would anyone be so kind and give me some detailed information on how to install mt-daapd?

Jan

fizze
    Participant

you need sqlite-devel 😉

to compile, you need the corresponding -devel packages.

rpedde
    Participant

@hhnougat wrote:

Hi there,

I’m trying to install mt-daap on a Suse 10 System.

What I want to do is to use an old PC as a media-server. That media-server is supposed to stream music to my roku soundbridge.

During the installation (./configure ) I get an error message which says that sqlite is missing. So I installed sqlite 3.x and tried again to install mt-daapd. What can I say: I wnat get up.

Are there any dependies missing or do I have to install something else previously?

Would anyone be so kind and give me some detailed information on how to install mt-daapd?

Jan

I was going to refer you to the thread on the roku site, but you *are* the thread on the roku site.

For others that follow this:

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9688

hhnougat

Hi,

thanks for your reply. It took me a while but know I’ve got mt-daapd successfully installed. I’m not quite sure if it’s right.

But know I’m heading towards the next problem how get I the mt-daapd service started?

On the command line I entered: mt-daapd But nothing happend. I’m not able to use the web interface by using http://myIP:3698.

And when I entered on the command line: ps aux | grep mt-daapd I didn’t received a task number.

Do might be have an idea whats going wrong?

Thanks so far for your help and patience

rpedde
    Participant

@hhnougat wrote:

thanks for your reply. It took me a while but know I’ve got mt-daapd successfully installed. I’m not quite sure if it’s right.

But know I’m heading towards the next problem how get I the mt-daapd service started?

On the command line I entered: mt-daapd But nothing happend. I’m not able to use the web interface by using http://myIP:3698.

And when I entered on the command line: ps aux | grep mt-daapd I didn’t received a task number.

Do might be have an idea whats going wrong?

Thanks so far for your help and patience

First thing is to copy the sample config file contrib/mt-daapd.conf to /etc, and edit it to taste.

Next, copy contrib/init.d/mt-daapd-suse to /etc/init.d/mt-daapd

Now, you will want to make it start automatically at boot. I *think* that’s something like “insserv mt-daapd” on suse. Then “/etc/init.d/mt-daapd start” should start it immediately.

I think that’s it.

hhnougat

Hi,

thanks a lot for your nightly reply.

I did as have recomended, but nothing happens. I’ve got the funny feeling that my whole installation has srewed up some how.

Tell you what I’m writting how I did my installation, that might be usefull for getting my problems solved on the one hand. And on the other hand we could used as a base for little how-to.

What do you think?

hhnougat

Prerequisites
    This article refers to fresh installed standard SuSE Linux 10,0 system. An internet access is required for downloading the codecs as well as the necessary software.

First of all you have to create a directory (e.g. SourceCode) under your own user. This directory will be used to put all the needed files into.

Quote:
    mk …/SourceCode

Downloading Dependencies
    · howl-1.0.0
    http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Howl-Download-2130.html
    · mt-daapd.suse (startup script)
    http://whocares.de/2005/11/19/mt-daapd-startup-file-for-suse-linux/
    Downloading mt-daapd
    · mt-daapd
    http://www.mt-daapd.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Installing Dependcies

Installing SuSE-RPM-Packages
    For the following installations steps some of the SuSE-RPM-Packages are required, these come with the standard installation of a SuSE System.
    For doing so you have to go via YAST / software / software installing or remove. Enter the name of one of the following listed packages into the search field:
    · sqlite2
    · sqlite2-dev
    · gawk
    · gcc
    · libid3tag
    · libid3tag-dev
    · gdbm
    · gdbm-dev
    · libogg
    · libogg-dev
    · libvorbis
    · libvorbis-dev
    Automatic changes (of YAST for these packages needed further packages) must be naturally accepted and likewise installed

Howl-dev
    cd …/SourceCode
    tar xvjf howl-1.0.0.tar.gz

cd howl-1.0.0

./configure –prefix=/usr –sysconfdir=/etc

make install

Installing mt-daapd
    cd …/SourceCode
    tar xvjf mt-daapd-svn-1400.tar.gz

cd mt-daapd-svn-1400

./configure –prefix=/usr –sysconfdir=/etc – enable-sqlite – enable-oggvorbis –with-libid3tag=/usr/local/lib

make install

Installing SuSE startup script
    cd …/SourceCode
    tar xvjf mt-daapd.suse.tar.bz2

cp contrib/mt-daapd.suse/etc/init.d/mt-daapd.suse

Setup mt-daapd
    cp contrib/mt-daapd.conf.tmpl/etc/mt-daapd.conf

For further information on how to configure mt-daapd have look at the web at
    http://wiki.mt-daapd.org/wiki/Quickstart_Tarball#Configuring_mt-daapd

insserv mt-daapd.suse
    chkconfig –a mt-daapd.suse

rpedde
    Participant

@hhnougat wrote:

· howl-1.0.0

Further down, you aren’t configuring mt-daapd to use howl, and you aren’t setting howl up to start at boot. If you don’t need rendezvous for more than one program, then you might as well just skip the whole howl stuff and use the build-in mdns responder.

Installing SuSE startup script
    cd …/SourceCode
    tar xvjf mt-daapd.suse.tar.bz2

cp contrib/mt-daapd.suse/etc/init.d/mt-daapd.suse

Not sure which startup script you are getting here — the one from the suse tarball, or the one from the stock distribution. Either is probably fine, but if you are using the one in contrib, then no real reason to download the suse tarball, I don’t think.

Setup mt-daapd
    cp contrib/mt-daapd.conf.tmpl/etc/mt-daapd.conf

Hrm. once you do a “make”, there should be a mt-daapd.conf in contrib, not just a .templ. Is that not the case?

hhnougat

No, so far I’ve not planed to usemt-daapd for more than one program. Okay therefore I’ll skip howl-1.0.0.

Because I couldn’t find a start skrip espaciallyfor SuSE in the contrib directory, I used one I’ve found in the internet (let’s see if I can find the address).

And also there wasn’t a mt-daapd.conf file.

Just by the way: it’s really hard for a newbee like me to get mt-daapd setup properly. It might be a good idea to have step-by-step installation guide.

Do you have any further ideas what I can do to get mt-daapd to run?

rpedde
    Participant

Do you have any further ideas what I can do to get mt-daapd to run?

As soon as I finish ubuntu .deb packages I’ll start working on rpms packages. I’ll start dropping rpms for fc, mandriva, and suse fairly shortly.

That might be easiest.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.