ID3 tag question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok now that I have mt-daapd running sweetly I would like to ask a question about the ID3 processing.

Firstly if a mp3 file has both ID3V1 and ID3V2 tags do they both get processed or only one? If so which one.

Secondly with ID3V2 I can store multiple genre’s. Will mt-daapd add all these genre’s to the database for that song? (ie can I browse for say a bob marley song using genre ‘reggae’ as well as ’60’s’ if i have both genre’s in my tag?

Also I have noticed that the genre’s are case sensitive as are album and artisit. Would it not be a suggestion to try to make them somehow case insensitive? In the example above I have some songs that are listed under Reggae and others listed under reggae – nothing that I cant sort out by mass editting my mp3’s i suppose. I suppose it is a trivial matter to just to a tolower() call when retrieving the names from the id3 tags, but then you dont want your display to have only lower case – might need some fancy coding footwork but it would be a nice to have.

grommet
    Participant

The MP3 file’s ID3v2 tag will take priority over any ID3v1 tag, as it does for most ID3 aware applications. Firefly doesn’t support multiple entries for any tag right now… but do note having multiple Genres in the tag isn’t part of the ID3v2 pseudo-standard. If I remember correctly, it’s only documented for name related values… like Artist, Composer, Conductor, etc. (“/” delimited in the tag in 2.3, or null delimited in the DOA 2.4 spec)… but virtually no applications support this functionality. (It’s better with other formats like WMA, OGG, FLAC… all handle multiple names/genres… but, as I said, Firefly doesn’t deal with it.)

The case sensitivity is a known feature. Solution? Fix your tags to be consistent. I don’t think Ron will be addressing this anytime soon, due to possible impact to low power devices like NSLU2.

rpedde
    Participant

@grommet wrote:

The case sensitivity is a known feature. Solution? Fix your tags to be consistent. I don’t think Ron will be addressing this anytime soon, due to possible impact to low power devices like NSLU2.

I think that’s something that can be fixed by the user tag plugin at some point, as discussed in another post.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.