I need help with iTunes and Firefly. I am not so smart!!

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues I need help with iTunes and Firefly. I am not so smart!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Please forgive me but I am not that smart. And do not really know what I am doing.

I sold my wife on a home server. So I bought a new computer and turned the old one into a WHS. I transfered all of our (her laptop, my laptop and desktop) music to the server, now I am triing to get iTunes to work. I loaded Bonjour and firefly svn-1696 to the server. I left everything in is default setting but added a password and changed the folder to D:sharesmusic.
    I open iTunes and it shows me Firefly, I click on it and it asked for the password, then iTunes say loading “firefly media sever” and never goes any farther.
    What am i doing wrong?
    My wife hates me and the dog just sits and growls at me, and we wont go into what the baby thinks. They need their music

I am greatful for any help and am willing to pay well to fix this!!. I have been working on this all day. I feel like an idiot!

EVILRipper
    Participant

Heh. I hope you didn’t really sell your wife. 🙂
    Anyway, I think the connection from iTunes to firefly “hangs” because the password is wrong. I once entered a wrong password and told him to remember, and all it did was keep trying to connect instead of asking for another password.

Do note, that firefly has 2 password. One to get into the admin page, and one to browse all the music (mp3 password). The mp3 password is asked by iTunes when connecting to firefly.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for the tip. it dose the same with or with out a password. It “feels” like a firewall problem. But I am not that smart

Anonymous
    Inactive

This seems backwards to me … but probably because I did it the way I explain below.

Try stopping Firefly and getting iTunes to work first. You should be able to tell iTunes to look at your WHS machine for the files (in iTunes, use Edit > Preferences > Advanced > General and edit path for “iTunes Music Folder Location”.

Once you can get iTunes to recognize the network shared drive and play songs from it, then activate Firefly and configure it (if you want to be able to play music without going through iTunes, that is).

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have tried that. The problem is that only one computer can have the iTunes library. So i will set it up on my desktop, then set it up on my wifes laptop. I mean I will tell iTunes to import the library. It will and it will only stay working on one of the computers. If i select a song after setting up both computers the first one set up will ask me to locate the song again. I can add music to the server threw iTunes just find!
    That is why I started messing around with Firefly. We only use iTunes and don’t have a big collection (about 4000 song). I just would like to get all the music in one place and then be able to play them from any of the computer in the house.

Thanks for you time, and any help is great.

fizze
    Participant

What happens when you open your browser to access the admin-page of firefly?
    It should be located on port 9999 on the IP of the WHS. Does that work alright?
    Does it show plugins loaded, song count, etc?

Anonymous
    Inactive

It dose the same thing. it just sits and never loads. If I have the password protection on, it will ask me to sign in and just say loading at the top. With it off it just says loading. And i am entering it 193.168.1.101:9999, is that the corccet way to enter it?

fizze
    Participant

assuming you enter it in your web-browser (internet explorer will do) – use http://192.168.1.101:9999

Anywho, this will ALWAYS be password-protected, but the default username/password is mt-daapd/mt-daapd.
    This has nothing to do with the password on your share.

If the web-interface doesn’t load, than firefly isn’t even working. So that should be step #1.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I try that from my desktop/laptop right? I can get to it on the server I think, but it has never asked me for a password. What can I do next?

Thanks again for any help

fizze
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

What happens when you open your browser to access the admin-page of firefly?
    It should be located on port 9999 on the IP of the WHS. Does that work alright?
    Does it show plugins loaded, song count, etc?

^^

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.