You are here: Home » Topic » How to Unpoison a Slug?page 2

How to Unpoison a Slug?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  davesanti 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

davesanti
    Participant

Final note:

I reflashed the Slug and unslung to a new Sony stick. It worked fine and I had no problem loading FF to it..

Maybe the Kingston was crap to begin with.

Dave

sansp00
    Participant

Well fizze, you described my setup perfectly, usb ext stick and ntfs hdd.
    I know ntfs is not recommended, but nor fat or ext where an option. But I did not read anything specific preventing such a setup to freeze (it was more in terms of days in my case).
    Anyway, got rid of the flash and caved in to move to ext hdd 😳
    Lost the goal I wanted to achieve of being able to take the hdd at someone else’s place and just plug it in and transfer 🙁 But gain stability …

Patrick S.

fizze
    Participant

I know exactly what you’re going through 😉
    Convert to ext2/3 and then your slug will be rock-solid-stable.

Besides, you can add a small FAT partition and host fs-driver.org’s win32 ext2/3 drivers on there. Or, these days, just download them on-the-fly.
    I’ve done so myself a couple of times, it works without a reboot in windows 🙂

Just be sure to unmount the drive in windows, or else the poor guy will have a “phantom” drive letter sitting around when you unplug the HD.

davesanti
    Participant

For me the reason I unslung to flash was to stop the Slug from poking at the HDD when it was asleep. I have a Maxtor One Touch 3. It will spin down after aa period of inactivity. I had the system unslung to it initially and it seemed that it wasn’t spinning down as it should.

Can anyone comment on this.. Should the Slug be poking at the HDD when nothing is happening.

Dave

sansp00
    Participant

I’ve seen a load of info on this, but never actually read it in a proper fashion. I’ve seen script an arm and leg long to mess with the feature. Aside FF, what were you running on the slug ? Did it poke the swap ?
    I have Western Digitals on my slug and I did not want to bother looking for the custom crap needed to “possibly” make it work.
    Patrick S.

davesanti
    Participant

Patrick.. I have seen the same script material and was a little reluctant to try it.. then again after all the playing around I have done on the SLug.. maybe..

I only have FF running on the Slug. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that the HDD was rarely spun down before when I was unslung to it. Unslung to the flash, the HDD is rarely not spun down except in use.

My FF logs show that it makes a time adjustment of some sort (xxx ticks or whatever) occasionally (probably several times a day) and I think that it wakes up the HDD when it does. I did move the FF log to the flash drive to see if it would help.

Dave

fizze
    Participant

Unslung runs several cron jobs that DO poke around attached devices.
    That is, let alone the swap.

These have nothing to do with Firefly if you have disabled the scan interval.
    Besides, if you only run firefly with a moderate library (less tahn 20k songs), you can safely disable swap.

davesanti
    Participant

I dont think I mind the swap too much….I dont care what it is doing when it running FF or even other processes that access the HDD.

Fizze, when the Slug runs the various cron jobs does it poke at an HDD even if it is unslung to the flash.

BTW, I wasnt referring to the scan interval on FF which I agree would cause the Slug to poke at the HDD. I moved the log location from the HDD to the flash. FF has been logging some kind of adjustment several times a day and I was trying to avoid it having to write to the HDD to do so… of course I have also increased the number or write cycles to the flash by doing this.

Dave

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.