How to Unpoison a Slug?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    davesanti
    Participant

OK, not an FF question, but you guys are pretty good with this Linux/Slug stuff.

My first Slug (dont ask) took a dump. Using the Sercomm tool I was able to re flash with stock (and unslung) firmware..

IN bith instances, the whole process seems to go fine…

The eeprom gets erased,
    the upgrade goes through to 100%
    the install is verified 100%

The Slug reboots..

Goes through the normal boot process… (the lights do the normal things)

Finishes the boot… status and ethernet lights on after the single beep..

Here is the issue..

I cant “see” the slug…

It is not on the network anywhere, not under network places…
    I dont see an IP address assigned to it in my router interface..

Everything seems to have gone fine.. but I cant use it if I cant see it.

I even tried to find it with the stock Linksys disk.. doesnt see it..

Any ideas..I would like to resurrect this guy.

Dave

rpedde
    Participant

@davesanti wrote:

I cant “see” the slug…

It is not on the network anywhere, not under network places…
    I dont see an IP address assigned to it in my router interface..

When it gets reset to defaults, it reverts back to the built-in ip address: 192.168.0.77. Easiest way to fix it is to change the ip address on your workstation to 192.168.0.10 or something, then web to it and configure it for dhcp or a static on your “real” network.

I’m guessing you run something other than 192.168.0.0/24 on your network.

— Ron

davesanti
    Participant

Holy sh$##, Ron.. you are the man…

The IP address was the key.. it was running on the default 192.168.1.77 (not .0.77 πŸ˜€ ) but nonethless…after a bit of painful headscratching I was able to change the default IP on the router to the right range, “see” the damn Slug and in the admin on it changed it to use a fixed IP in the default range of the router (.15.100 and on). When I put the router back to default, the Slug came up… πŸ˜€

Now the funny part is that my “working” Slug still wont give me web interface (another problem) and my newly repaired Slug does.. now to unsling it again and try to use it as a Tivo server>

Thanks

Dave

fizze
    Participant

Be careful when using DHCP with the slug.
    I almost bricked mine because this was not working.
    So i went back in assigning static IPs and DNSs to my slug.

FYI I use a WRT54G router with HyperWRT Thibor, and its workign like a charm.
    I believe I read somewhere on the nslu2-linux wiki that there is a flaw in the dhcp-client in R63/Unslung that causes hickups.

richdunlop
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Be careful when using DHCP with the slug.
    I almost bricked mine because this was not working.
    So i went back in assigning static IPs and DNSs to my slug.

FYI I use a WRT54G router with HyperWRT Thibor, and its workign like a charm.
    I believe I read somewhere on the nslu2-linux wiki that there is a flaw in the dhcp-client in R63/Unslung that causes hickups.

I was burned by this with Unslung 6.8 / dd-wrt :(. I think it’s an incompatibility with dnsmasq when it’s configured to assign IP’s based on client mac address. The debrick isn’t too bad (redboot and reset slug sysconfig) and is well documented on the wiki but the sudden loss of a perfectly working slug is painful… …static IP’s for me all the way now!

fizze
    Participant

@ richdunlop:
    dd-wrt on a WRT54G series device?

I desperatly tried to give dd-wrt a chance, but it was just horrible! I actually buyed a replacement WRT54g only to discover that dd-wrt is the culprit.

HyperWRT Thibor all the way πŸ™‚ 8)

davesanti
    Participant

Thanks guys, I am not using DHCP, I just used a fixed IP address in the proper range.. ultimately it turned out to be that simple.

Dave

davesanti
    Participant

Update:

Tried to install FF and got partially there and then had problems with a ton of I/O errors..

Same with SSH..

The Slug works fine, unslung 6.8 to a 2gb Kingston flash drive on port 1.

I can transfer files to the flash disk and read it and see and read the admin files..

I had some I/O problems previously on another 2GB Kingston..

Is an I/O failure a sign of problems with the stick..

I tried to do a disck scan and it didnt complete the process…

Dave

sansp00
    Participant

I’ve been having a ton of different issues with a flash drive. I am currently in the process of reverting to a single HDD on both of my slugs.
    IO errors, mounting issues, drive disappearing … To sum it up, it was way too unstable for my taste. I was using Buffalo 2gig sticks. I got to find them another use now πŸ™

Patrick S.

richdunlop
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

@ richdunlop:
    dd-wrt on a WRT54G series device?

I desperatly tried to give dd-wrt a chance, but it was just horrible! I actually buyed a replacement WRT54g only to discover that dd-wrt is the culprit.

HyperWRT Thibor all the way πŸ™‚ 8)

dd-wrt on a Buffalo wgr-hp-g54. Works well although I’m thinking about taking a look at OpenWrt out of curiosity.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.