Help with MyBook World Edition – newbie to Linux

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Help with MyBook World Edition – newbie to Linux

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    rpedde
    Participant

@Johncan wrote:

OK… got part of it working. The Firefly server is running and it finds the FLAC files. It found 26000+ songs. However, the Soundbridge M2000 shows 0 songs when I browse. Do I need to configure transcoding for the M2000?

I wish the Wiki pages were more clear.

The Web interface shows the following plug-ins:
    daap svn-1586
    rsp svn-1586
    ssc-script svn-1586

Thanks!

The instructions on that web page don’t walk you through installing the prereqs for doing flac transocding.

You’ll need to compile and install libflac and libvorbis, and configure with –enable-flac to do flac transcoding.

I’m not sure where those are, or whether they compile cleanly on the device you have, but you can try by googing for libflac and libvorbis, downloading and installing them like the instructions for the other dependant libraries.

But there is still something wrong, since you should see the files from the roku, just no be able to play them.

If you do http://ip.of.server:port/rsp/db (using the ip address o fyour server and the port number spcified in the config file, ob course), from firefox, you should see an xml file.

In the xml file, does it show non-zero totals in the playlists?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi All!

I have about the simular problem.
    Have it all installed and running (Firefly on WD My World NAS 1tb,
    and Soundbridge 1001…)
    I can see all the files on the Soundbridge, but are unable to play them!
    It works fine when I use firefly installed on my computer though…
    What can be my problem?!
    I’ve been struggeling for months with this issue…
    Would be very greatful if anyone can help… 😉

(see http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=6010&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60)

Thanx!
    /Andy

Johncan
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

If you do http://ip.of.server:port/rsp/db (using the ip address o fyour server and the port number spcified in the config file, ob course), from firefox, you should see an xml file.

Here is what that files shows:

−

−

−

−

Library

I also upgraded to the nightlies – svn-1696 thinking that might work and it it does not. Same issue remains.

rpedde
    Participant

@Johncan wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

Here is what that files shows:

−

−

−

−

Library

I also upgraded to the nightlies – svn-1696 thinking that might work and it it does not. Same issue remains.

Oh. You really are browsing, not looking at playlists. Probably with a low-powered device like a nas trying to get distincts on 26000 records and send them to the roku before it times out is too much for the thing.

You’d probably do well to create playlists for the stuff you are browsing for, and that will probably work better.

Hopefully once the db is refactored, browsing will be much faster. At which point you might be able to do browses on large databases like that.

Until then, you’ll need to do something to help it return results faster — make smart playlists (maybe using the smart.html on the web interface) or something of that nature.

Keep watching nightlies. The first one after the db re-write will likely be fairly unstable, but it should stabilize fairly quickly.

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

@andrease wrote:

Hi All!

I have about the simular problem.
    Have it all installed and running (Firefly on WD My World NAS 1tb,
    and Soundbridge 1001…)
    I can see all the files on the Soundbridge, but are unable to play them!
    It works fine when I use firefly installed on my computer though…
    What can be my problem?!
    I’ve been struggeling for months with this issue…
    Would be very greatful if anyone can help… 😉

(see http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=6010&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60)

Thanx!
    /Andy

Let’s start here.

1. Looks from the old post you have 1586. that’s good.
    2. What kind of files? .mp3, m4a, flac?
    3. What happens when you try and play them? Does the roku say it can’t play that type of device? Does it start to play then hang? Does it skip to the next song? What, exactly?

If it is a server-side issue, you can get some more enlightenment by going into the web config and setting the debuglevel to at least 5 and setting a logfile somewhere where you can read it. Then try to play the songs, let it fail, and check the log file and see if it tells you anything helpful.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Re:
    1. Looks from the old post you have 1586. that’s good.
    Ok, that was one of my concernes…
    2. What kind of files? .mp3, m4a, flac?
    MP3’s and all are playable when I use firefly on my computer…
    3. What happens when you try and play them? Does the roku say it can’t play that type of device? Does it start to play then hang? Does it skip to the next song? What, exactly?
    The ROKU says: “Could not play “song name”” It doesn’t even starts to play. No buffering…

I set the debug level to 5, try to play a song and this was what was written in the logfile:
    “Error 404: file not found”
    Strange, since th file really is there!
    It finds it when scanning….!

EVILRipper
    Participant

They probably have moved? Maybe he found it the first time while scanning, and now the files are somewhere else. (Mounted in different dir?)

Simple fix:

locate songs

Should result with a line with a file called songs.db or songs3.db.
    (Probably at /usr/var/cache/mt-daapd/songs.db)
    This is mt-daapd’s stored database.

How do we fix the database?
    – Shutdown mt-daapd
    … Not sure:

/etc/init.d/mt-daapd stop

– Delete the database

rm /usr/var/cache/mt-daapd/songs.db

Or whatever is the path to the songs database

– Start mt-daapd
    Again not sure:

/etc/init.d/mt-daapd start

The start/stopping code is for debian. I actually doubt this works on your linux distro. I hope you know how to stop/start mt-daapd?

After successfully following those steps, it should start scanning on startup, because his database is gone.
    It will scan in the music dir you entered in the mt-daapd.conf file. (As you probably already know)

Hope this will fix your problem, although it is only a workaround. Maybe you can think of the reason why the files have gone missing/moved?

Kind regards,
    Erik

Johncan
    Participant

Keep watching nightlies. The first one after the db re-write will likely be fairly unstable, but it should stabilize fairly quickly.

OK… will do. I shut down the mt-daapd server on the MyBook and installed Firefly back on my WinXP Pro machine. It is all working fine on the XP machine, but I was hoping for just running the MyBook.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

John

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi again…
    The songs are at the same place as before…
    I have alreadytried to delete the database once, and the same
    problem occured…

Thinking of reinstalling all the stuff as described oin the wiki:
    http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/MyBook_World_Edition_Install

Do I have to remove all of the installations first or can I just
    do everything again as described in the wiki?

How do I do?!

rpedde
    Participant

@andrease wrote:

Hi again…
    The songs are at the same place as before…
    I have alreadytried to delete the database once, and the same
    problem occured…

Thinking of reinstalling all the stuff as described oin the wiki:
    http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/MyBook_World_Edition_Install

Do I have to remove all of the installations first or can I just
    do everything again as described in the wiki?

How do I do?!

should be able to reinstall over the top of everything.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.