Help with MyBook World Edition – newbie to Linux

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Help with MyBook World Edition – newbie to Linux

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Johncan
    Participant

Hi,

I am trying to set up a MyBook World Edition 1 TB external hard drive to run Firefly for my Roku M2000 and M1000. Previously, I have had Firefly installed on a PC running WinXP Pro. I only play FLAC files and some MP3s. I do not use Itunes.

I set up the MyBook using the following directions:
    http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/MyBook_World_Edition_Install

Firefly is running and I can access the web interface. However, I cannot get Firefly to scan the folders in my MyBook. It does not see any of the FLAC or MP3 files.

Please advise. Also, please note, I am a complete newbie with Linux and Unix and don’t understand anything I have done so far. I just followed the directions.

Thanks

John

Johncan
    Participant

I think my problem resides with this part:

Now, using web interface, create a MUSIC folder. This is where the iTunes directory will sit. Copy the iTunes directory from your computer over to the MUSIC directory on the MyBookWorld using drag and drop.

The iTunes directory now needs to be soft-linked to where Firefly can find it (it apparently needs to be in the same filesystem). Back on the command line, again as root,

I don’t use Itunes as it does not see FLAC files. I created a folder on the MyBookWorld called /music and all my album folders are under that.

Any help would be appreciated.

rpedde
    Participant

@Johncan wrote:

I think my problem resides with this part:

Now, using web interface, create a MUSIC folder. This is where the iTunes directory will sit. Copy the iTunes directory from your computer over to the MUSIC directory on the MyBookWorld using drag and drop.

The iTunes directory now needs to be soft-linked to where Firefly can find it (it apparently needs to be in the same filesystem). Back on the command line, again as root,

I don’t use Itunes as it does not see FLAC files. I created a folder on the MyBookWorld called /music and all my album folders are under that.

Any help would be appreciated.

What is your music path, as shown in the web interface?

I don’t actually *have* one of these devices, but i think it might (should?) be:

/shares/internal/music

or /shares/internal/MUSIC

In addition, you may have to change the “runas” user in the config file to match your username.

Johncan
    Participant

/but i think it might (should?) be:

/shares/internal/music

I switched it to /shares/internal/MUSIC. Itr was just /MUSIC.

Still not working, but I will try the next step.

In addition, you may have to change the “runas” user in the config file to match your username.

Is this the username I use to login into the MyBook using SSH?

Thanks!

John

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I’m trying to do exactly the same thing.

I followed the instructions in the wiki, but had to download and compile the 3.5.3 version of sqlite.

I can’t get Firefly to start. If I run ‘/etc/init.d/S99firefly start’ it says Firefly Starting, but it never shows up. Looking in /var/log/messages I see: ” db_sqlite3_open: Misc SQL Error: unable to open database file (@dbdir@/songs3.db)”

Any ideas? I’m not sure where @dbdir@ is to look and see what’s there.

Is this to do with having a later version of sqlite installed? I’m using the latest available nightly (1696)

Some assistance would be most gratedully received.

Thanks,

Stuart

rpedde
    Participant

@Johncan wrote:

/but i think it might (should?) be:

/shares/internal/music

I switched it to /shares/internal/MUSIC. Itr was just /MUSIC.

Still not working, but I will try the next step.

Is this the username I use to login into the MyBook using SSH?

Thanks!

John

Correct. since *you* can read the files, the server will be able to if it’s logged in as you.

A trick to find the path where the music is at:

from putty, telnetted into the mybook:

# find . -name “*Some Song Name*”

it will grind for a while, but it will eventually spit out where it found the filename that matches “Some Song Name”. If you pick a song name that you can see in the share via windows, and you know the path on disk, you can figure out what the path to the top of the music tree is.

Say through windows, the file is like this:

“Music” on \servername
    + My Music
    |
    |+ ABBA
    |
    + 01 Dancing Queen.mp3

If you do a

# find / -name “*Dancing Queen*”

and it spits out:

/shares/hdd1/public/Music/ABBA/01 Dancing Queen.mp3

Then you know that “/shares/hdd/public/Music” is what corresponds to the top of your music tree.

That’s what you should put in your mp3 path in the config file.

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

@stuartleitch wrote:

Hi,

I’m trying to do exactly the same thing.

I followed the instructions in the wiki, but had to download and compile the 3.5.3 version of sqlite.

I can’t get Firefly to start. If I run ‘/etc/init.d/S99firefly start’ it says Firefly Starting, but it never shows up. Looking in /var/log/messages I see: ” db_sqlite3_open: Misc SQL Error: unable to open database file (@dbdir@/songs3.db)”

Any ideas? I’m not sure where @dbdir@ is to look and see what’s there.

Is this to do with having a later version of sqlite installed? I’m using the latest available nightly (1696)

Some assistance would be most gratedully received.

Thanks,

Stuart

Do the “make” from the top level of the extracted files, not from the “src” directory. The file you are using is the mt-daapd.conf.templ, which is the template into which the *real* values get merged to create the mt-daapd.conf.

So do the make at the top level, then copy over the generated mt-daapd.conf, not the template.

— Ron

Or… I guess failing that, you can always just substitute the *real* file paths into the config file in place of the @something@ markers. Up to you, but probably easier to let the template generate something reasonable.

Johncan
    Participant

Somehow I think I need to enable FLAC in mt-daapd.conf. What is the code and were does it go?

Johncan
    Participant

OK… got part of it working. The Firefly server is running and it finds the FLAC files. It found 26000+ songs. However, the Soundbridge M2000 shows 0 songs when I browse. Do I need to configure transcoding for the M2000?

I wish the Wiki pages were more clear.

The Web interface shows the following plug-ins:
    daap svn-1586
    rsp svn-1586
    ssc-script svn-1586

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Well spotted! Not sure how I’d managed that, but the Firefly Server is now happily running and appearing on all my devices.

Thanks so much for your help, it’s very much appreciated. I love Firefly and think that it’s a great piece of Software, and the support you provide is incredible. Please keep at it!

/S

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.