Help installing firefly on a MIPS Linkstation

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Help installing firefly on a MIPS Linkstation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    g0pkh
    Participant

Hi all.

Currently I use an NSLU2 for running firefly and mt-daapd.

I have a spare linkstation (MIPS) which I would like to experiment with.
    However I do not really know how to get started.

I am very new to Linux, and installation on NSLU2 is a breeze with IPKG, but the Linkstation, I understand needs to have firefly “Built” for it.

I have already installed the openlink firmware and development tools on my LS (from linkstationwiki.net), but now I am at a loss of the actual steps I need to take, and why.

What files do I need (source files etc), and where can I get them ?
    How do I “Build” the package, what utilities do I use and how ?
    How to deal with common problems that are like ly to occur ?
    What pitfalls to be aware of ?

Questions, questions, questions πŸ˜†

I would very much appreciate it if someone could guide me through the process of installing firefly, and the steps I need to take.
    I am really doing this because I want to learn more about these processes, as I said I do already use NSLU2’s for my servers, but just want to learn the differences.

Although I am new to linux, I can find my way around the file system, use VI etc. πŸ™‚

Thanks

Pete

rpedde
    Participant

@g0pkh wrote:

Hi all.

Currently I use an NSLU2 for running firefly and mt-daapd.

I have a spare linkstation (MIPS) which I would like to experiment with.
    However I do not really know how to get started.

I am very new to Linux, and installation on NSLU2 is a breeze with IPKG, but the Linkstation, I understand needs to have firefly “Built” for it.

I have already installed the openlink firmware and development tools on my LS (from linkstationwiki.net), but now I am at a loss of the actual steps I need to take, and why.

What files do I need (source files etc), and where can I get them ?
    How do I “Build” the package, what utilities do I use and how ?
    How to deal with common problems that are like ly to occur ?
    What pitfalls to be aware of ?

Questions, questions, questions πŸ˜†

I would very much appreciate it if someone could guide me through the process of installing firefly, and the steps I need to take.
    I am really doing this because I want to learn more about these processes, as I said I do already use NSLU2’s for my servers, but just want to learn the differences.

Although I am new to linux, I can find my way around the file system, use VI etc. πŸ™‚

Thanks

Pete

I don’t have a LS2, but this thread talks about installing openlink on the linkstation.

— Ron

g0pkh
    Participant

Hi Ron.

Thanks for the reply.

I have been following that thread (or rather trying to πŸ™‚ ).

But am getting rather lost in the middle.

I have Openlink installed OK, along with the Development tools as well.
    They were easy because the packages were self installing.

But when we start talking about installing binaries, and compiling files etc, it all starts to go over my head πŸ™‚ Where do I get all this stuff, and what commands are needed etc.

Appologies if I am just being dumb, πŸ™‚

Perhaps it might be better to combine this thread with the other one.

Pete

rpedde
    Participant

@g0pkh wrote:

But when we start talking about installing binaries, and compiling files etc, it all starts to go over my head πŸ™‚ Where do I get all this stuff, and what commands are needed etc.

Gotcha. First, do the install of 0.2.1 like mlomker talked about, install it, and do the sort symlink thing that he talks about in the other thread.

Once you have that, then get the 0.2.5 package onto your linkstation. You can probably do something like:

foo@linkstation:~$ wget http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org/mt-daapd-0.2.5.tar.gz

and pull the file down to your linkstation that way. Do:

foo@linkstation:~$ tar -xvzf mt-daapd-0.2.5.tar.gz
    foo@linkstation:~$ cd mt-daapd-0.2.5
    foo@linkstation:~$ ./configure
    foo@linkstation:~$ make

If all that went okay, you should have a “mt-daapd” sitting in the src directory under mt-daapd-0.2.5.

Copy that over the top of where the old mt-daapd was. (probably /sbin/mt-daapd, or /usr/sbin/mt-daapd, or /opt/sbin/mt-daapd). Then start it as normal. (/opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd, maybe? I’m not sure if those packages come from unslung optware or not).

g0pkh
    Participant

Ahhh.

Things are beginning to make more sense now, thankyou Ron.

Is mt-daapd 0.2.5 the highest I can go then ?

Can’t I just download the latest nightlie version, compile it in the same way using /configure make etc,and overwrite the original mt-daapd with this ?
    Sounds too simple really .

Regards

Pete

rpedde
    Participant

@g0pkh wrote:

Can’t I just download the latest nightlie version, compile it in the same way using /configure make etc,and overwrite the original mt-daapd with this ?
    Sounds too simple really .

Yeah, but it’s harder, as there are plugins and dependancies on other stuff (sqlite, primarily). But yeah. If you can get this working, we can try getting the nightlies to work. Mostly its a matter of finding out what directories and whatnot all the packages are in now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.