Help: firefly is almost running but…

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Help: firefly is almost running but…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Henni100
    Participant

Hi,

just bought a Linkstation Pro as music server for my soundbridge!

Finally managed to install it (used the oh1jty’s firmware), but there are still a few problems:

1. I can get firefly running and can access the webserver BUT
    I use putty.exe, ssh enabled to start firefly with
    mt-daapd -c /etc/mt-daapd.conf -f
    after that I can go to the webserver, but if I close putty.exe firefly stops running. No idea why?

2. Bonjour status is always not running. Do I need it to run on my linkstation?

3. What do I have to insert in init.d (or where?) to get firefly autostarted on NAS reboot?

4. What else is important to get it run?

Thank you
    greetings Henni

EVILRipper
    Participant

Heya,

1. Indeed. If you run firefly like that, it runs in the current SSH session. That is why you have to run “/etc/init.d/mt-daapd start” on linux so it starts as a service in the background of the system, not the SSH session.
    Probably another way to fix this is by running firefly in screen (Some multi terminal program which stays running when you disconnect the SSH session)

2. Indeed. I believe this is a bug, since my firefly doesnt have this either, but the server seems to be fully functional.

3. Right. “/etc/init.d/mt-daapd start” was the command i believe. If this does not happen on boot, you might try “update-rc.d mt-daapd defaults” which adds mt-daapd to the standard boot programs. Tho these are all linux commands, so I’m not sure they work in your situation.

4. um, did you edit your config file (/etc/mt-daapd.conf)? Like, path to your music, adminpass, etc.

Hope this helps,
    ~Rippie

rpedde
    Participant

@EVILRipper wrote:

Heya,
    1. Indeed. If you run firefly like that, it runs in the current SSH session. That is why you have to run “/etc/init.d/mt-daapd start” on linux so it starts as a service in the background of the system, not the SSH session.
    Probably another way to fix this is by running firefly in screen (Some multi terminal program which stays running when you disconnect the SSH session)

You should be able to run it as root without the “-f”, and it will fork and detach, and stay running after you log off.

2. Indeed. I believe this is a bug, since my firefly doesnt have this either, but the server seems to be fully functional.

Correct. Bug.

— Ron

Henni100
    Participant

thank you guys,

mt-daapd -c /etc/mt-daapd

works (even without -f command).

Now to the automatic start up:
    need to edit the /etc/init.d/rcS
    seems I have to create something like mt-daapd.sh to add to rcS, but I have no idea what has to be in it.
    Am I right that I can’t simply add “mt-daapd -c/etc/mt-daapd.conf” (as it is the only thing I have to enter to get firefly running) to the rcS?

Greetings
    Henni

rpedde
    Participant

@Henni100 wrote:

thank you guys,

mt-daapd -c /etc/mt-daapd

works (even without -f command).

Now to the automatic start up:
    need to edit the /etc/init.d/rcS
    seems I have to create something like mt-daapd.sh to add to rcS, but I have no idea what has to be in it.
    Am I right that I can’t simply add “mt-daapd -c/etc/mt-daapd.conf” (as it is the only thing I have to enter to get firefly running) to the rcS?

Greetings
    Henni

Correct. Whatever you have to entry to get it to run normally.

– Ron

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.