Help designate correct Music Folder in Web Admin for NSLU.

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Help designate correct Music Folder in Web Admin for NSLU.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Been having a heck of a time setting up my first NSLUg and could sure use some help:
    1. I have a flash stick in Disc 2 which is running the unslung
    2. I have an NTFS formatted USB disc (200gb) in Disk 1
    I can get all the way into the web admin page of Firefly. But I cannot figure out how to get it to pick up where my music is stored.
    The share for the NTFS disc is called HDD_1_1_1 and I have a subdirectory called Music inside that share that will hold all of my files.

If I use telnet and bore down into the file structure of my SLUG (I have no idea what I’m doing…) it seems to me like the path should be this:

/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/Music

But when I go to “save” it, I get this error message: Error: 500general:mp3_dir

What am I missing here? Thanks in advance for any help

fizze
    Participant

if you cpoied all your files on there as ADMIN or whatever user, you will probably want to change firefly to be run as THAT user.
    Normally, firefly runs as “guest” or “nobody”, and so it does not have access to the files and folders of ADMIN.

Alternatively, you can change the permissions of those files and/or ownership, so that they are accessible for firefly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t exactly understand what you’re saying, I copied the files over in Windows explorer, so I don’t know what my user status was. I did change my “Run As” setting in the Firefly admin window to “admin” but that doesn’t really change anything.

Can anyone else help?

rpedde
    Participant

@alan_birch wrote:

I don’t exactly understand what you’re saying, I copied the files over in Windows explorer, so I don’t know what my user status was. I did change my “Run As” setting in the Firefly admin window to “admin” but that doesn’t really change anything.

Can anyone else help?

I don’t know how the ntfs stuff works with the slug. Since ntfs doesn’t have the same concept of user, group, everyone that unix os’ have, it’s probably dummied up when it mounts the drive.

The thing to do is to look at the files in that directory from the slug side:

ls /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/Music

and see who the owner is. Then run the firefly server as that user. (by changing the “runas” parameter).

I think that should work.

edit: And a couple disclaimers: if that user is root, then that’s a security problem on the server. I’d make sure I didn’t let that machine be visible on the internet if the mt-daapd server was running as root.

Also, be aware that the ntfs performance on the slug is awful. It might take longer than you expect to browse, or scan the database. Probably still be usable, just slower than you might expect.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

@alan_birch wrote:

Can anyone else help?

well, it should, after you restart firefly ๐Ÿ˜‰

telnet there as root. then do:

killall mt-daapd
    /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd

Re: NTFS
    I couldnt agree more to what Ron said. I have been trying to use the slug off an NTFS drive for several months with lots of problems. If you dont have to, use ext3. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK. I’ll go ahead and reformat the drive as EXT first and give that a try. I was hoping to keep NTFS so that I could use it with my Windows boxes, but I guess I don’t really need to.

fizze
    Participant

there are plenty for drivers for ext2/3 for windows available.
    Just do a quick google search. Many dont even require a reboot.
    So you still can plug the disk to your box, for quicker copy, if you have to ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK. I’m totally dumb.
    Is there a good step-by-step walkthough of how to set up the sNSLUg INCLUDING all of the command line commands? I’m totally lost in the world of Unix commands and shares and all of that.
    Thanks so much

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alright! I think I got it:

For some reason, Firefly is looking for FLASH in USB1 and HDD in USB2. My setup has the flash and hdd reversed. So in the web admin page, I just switched the path from:

/share/hdd/data/public/Music
    to
    /share/flash/data/public/Music

and it worked like a charm.
    Thanks

stretch
    Participant

yeah, linksys really screwed things up with the lastest firmware.
    Older firmware & the documentation wants the flash disk on port 2 & the hdd on port 1 but the latest firmware (& therefore uNSLUng) has revesed which ports they should be connected to.

The uNSLUng 6.8 documentation does mentions this.

BTW, /hdd/ = USB port 1 & /flash/ = USB port 2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.