Good with iTunes 7.0

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    fizze
    Participant

heh, well spoketh 😉
    its not _that_ easy.

still I think they’ll do pretty well with their streaming box, given its well priced.
    Although it doesnt feature any HDTV alike content features just yet, it likeley will. They just do this to have a foot in the door.

Anyway, I really dont think lossless is that important, to me at least.
    Im always surprised how many people seem to want decent lossless.

0.02€

rpedde
    Participant

@pipian wrote:

Well, all they need to do is figure out those few gapless statistics DAAP now provides and implementation should be easy.

lol.

Mike
    Participant

How is iTunes implementing it’s artwork? is it embedding it per track, or just keeping an image around for album?

I’d be interested in bothering to get all the artwork for all of my music, but given how many albums I have, I’d really prefere to only have to do it once. It would be nice if other clients besides just iTunes could see the artwork as well. Recommendations?

I ask here as last time I enabled cover art in mt-daapd, it causes breakage.

rpedde
    Participant

@Mike wrote:

How is iTunes implementing it’s artwork? is it embedding it per track, or just keeping an image around for album?

I’d be interested in bothering to get all the artwork for all of my music, but given how many albums I have, I’d really prefere to only have to do it once. It would be nice if other clients besides just iTunes could see the artwork as well. Recommendations?

I ask here as last time I enabled cover art in mt-daapd, it causes breakage.

It embeds it in the song itself, just as it always has. The only thing thats new or different with 7.0 is that it can download the artwork automatically.

As far as compatibility, most clients understand embedded art. Very few (that I’ve seen) honor external art. To my mind, the artwork belongs embedded in the song.

— Ron

grommet
    Participant

Actually, Apple changed the behavior in iTunes 7.0… if you use the new Get Album Art feature (and it’s successful), it only puts the Album Art into the external database.

If you drag art into the file, or change it in Get Info, it still gets shoved directly into the file metadata (like pre-7 iTunes)… and also gets put into the external database.

Not sure if this is a bug or intentional. The external image database is now necessary, due to the new (local only) Album Art views.

rpedde
    Participant

@grommet wrote:

Actually, Apple changed the behavior in iTunes 7.0… if you use the new Get Album Art feature (and it’s successful), it only puts the Album Art into the external database.

If you drag art into the file, or change it in Get Info, it still gets shoved directly into the file metadata (like pre-7 iTunes)… and also gets put into the external database.

Not sure if this is a bug or intentional. The external image database is now necessary, due to the new (local only) Album Art views.

Eek. That sucks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good with iTunes 7.0 or NOT?

– it works perfect with iTunes 7 for Windows
    – it does NOT work with iTunes 7 for Mac (OSX 10.4.7)

Showing streamed artwork with ‘folder.jpg’ works great on PC (despite i had to convert my ‘folder.gif’s )
    iTunes 7 on mac shows up the shared music from the pc BUT not the shared archive from mt-daapd (tested to make sure, the firewall exceptions work well).

greetz
    =:-)f

Anonymous
    Inactive

@23646266 wrote:

Good with iTunes 7.0 or NOT?

– it does NOT work with iTunes 7 for Mac (OSX 10.4.7)
    ….
    greetz

– it DOES work with iTunes 7 for Mac

ages later, when I tried to quit iTunes (OSX) the mt-daapd server shows up in the likst of shared music.

it works from now on even with iTunes 7 for mac.
    Sorry for the last post, but it really didn’t show up yesterday an today’s morning. don’t know what the couse was, though.

gba

i can see my share in itunes, but when i select it, after about a minute, i get:

“The shared library “greg’s file server” is not accessible for an unknown reason. (-3259)”

i can see other itunes shares on my network ok and there are no firewalls in place.

the share shows up and i can view & play files ok under windows xp with itunes 7.

UPDATE (2006-09-19): i come into work this morning, click on my file server and behold, it works, with no apparent changes to the network.

-g

eschoeller
    Participant

Heh, if they placed the album art in the file, as they should have, we all would have gotten away with free album art work integration.
    By putting it in the database only itunes can benefit from it, not other players.

I bet you could script them back out of the databse and into the files though …

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.