GIANT Library Loading and Browsing Problems

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion GIANT Library Loading and Browsing Problems

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    rpedde
    Participant

@ratbag21 wrote:

Ok I did the install on 1586. It seems to have gone smoothly, however the I get an “error on reading the config file”. I did a full edit on the new config file so all the location etc. parameters matched my previous config file.

Yeah, should have said it makes sense to let it overwrite your existing config file. You can let it do that by reinstalling with –reinstall and answering to let it overwrite the config.

Do I need to install any other pkgs/files beyond “mt-daapd_svn-1586-1_armeb.ipk”?

Yeah, a bunch. But it should drag in the dependancies when it installs automatically.

Do I need to do a cold/clean reboot of the slug/server after install?

Not strictly speaking, no. Just make sure that the mt-daapd processes are all gone before starting the new one.

Can 1586 do sqlite3 ok [vs. other options] or do recommend another choice?

Yes, it’s compiled in the nightlies.

Do I need to remove the old version/type db file?

Not unless you are particularly fastidious, no. Doesn’t hurt anything, just unnecessary.

Can the sqlite3 db [or any db selected] location be the same as the db parameter location?

That’s where it goes… in the directory used for db_parms. At some point, I expect to have other database backends that will require usernames and passwords and whatnot, but the sqlite/sqlite3 database only requires a path, so that’s all that’s in the db_parms — the path to put the database in.

Do the options [settings] in the config file need to have “=” between the option name and the setting, or can there just be spaces as in previous config format?

Has to be an =

Well, not strictly speaking. But if it doesn’t find an “=”, then it thinks it’s an old-style config, and you’ll run into problems.

I did an update of my “/etc/ipkg/firefly.conf” file [confirmed that the file contents read as directed] , however when I run the ipkg update command, the system says it is ignoring an unknown parameter, and then the package update comes from the “nslu2-linux.org”. The update to the file was to “src firefly http://ipkg.fireflymediaserver.org/armeb”, is this the correct syntax in the firefly.conf file for that location?

Yeah, that looks right. Maybe double-check for typos? If not, you can just browse to that location and download the file and install it that way.

sorry about all the questions and I appreciate the responses…I think that covers all the odds and ends…

🙂

np.

— Ron

ratbag21
    Participant

Ron,

thanks again for all your help. I corrected the update location in the firefly.conf file. I had to remove the “quotes” from the single line in the file. I ran the update, worked now. Then did a -force-reinstall, edited the new config file to match all the previous music directory and db locations, I am now on 1671. One mistake I made the first time was that I set the db_dir AND the db_parm. I guess I figured out that the db_dir setting is not used in the new config.

I will let you know how the browsing has improved. It might be awhile as the slug is probably going to take awhile to scan all the files and add to the new db.

rat

mas
    Participant

Are you having problems with sqlite3 and svn-1671? I ahd some trouble there and use 1586 with sqlite3. Seems to be a memory related problem with the new versions and sqlite3 only though.

ratbag21
    Participant

No problem with 1671 and sqlite3. browsing artists, albums, and songs works great. i would say 1671 is a great upgrade from 0.2.4.

one small item that i have not figured yet is reading static playlists. previously i was using the 0.2.4 version of FF. playlists worked fine, but i could not browse songs because of the large numbers. now i can’t seem to get the playlists to “read” but the songs load to browse great. FF sees them but does not read the contents of the files.

[Ron, any clues that you could give on this playlist question??? – i have already been through the removal of spaces and changing the / to and that worked with the 0.2.4 FF version?]

BTW, i have 45,000 mp3’s, M1001, and a slug on 1671 w/sqlite3 db. when i go to browse songs they ALL load to the M1001. i am aware that others have said there is a ~12,000 record limit on the M1001, but previously i had twonky serving and i was able to load the full 45,000 to the queue.

my large playlists are between 11,000 and 13,000, small ones ~ 100-200.

thanks,
    Rat

rpedde
    Participant

@ratbag21 wrote:

[Ron, any clues that you could give on this playlist question??? – i have already been through the removal of spaces and changing the / to and that worked with the 0.2.4 FF version?]

Can you show one?

ratbag21
    Participant

Ron,

I think I got the playlist issue worked out.

As has been stated many places on this board, the listings need to be relative to the server and file locations. The spaces need to be removed between lines. The last is that for this FF version “” works and “/” does not.

Anyway the playlists work under the above parameters.

The issue [this may not be correctible] now is that very large playlists [10,000 entries] do not load/list. I can however report that the sqlite3 db does load the entire song-list to the soundbridge when asked to browse [YEA!]. I can rationalize this as the song db is ~20MB [45,000 entries], the soundbridge is reported to have ~32MB memory, this leaves 12MB to operate [more than 35% of the total] and that seems possible [obviously no knowledge of soundbridge OS requirements used for this estimate].

If you have any ideas on the large playlist issue, I will try anything if it helps out for any improvements, just let me know what to change.

thanks again for the FF and all the assistance above!!!

Rat

rpedde
    Participant

@ratbag21 wrote:

Ron,

I think I got the playlist issue worked out.

As has been stated many places on this board, the listings need to be relative to the server and file locations. The spaces need to be removed between lines. The last is that for this FF version “” works and “/” does not.

Anyway the playlists work under the above parameters.

The issue [this may not be correctible] now is that very large playlists [10,000 entries] do not load/list. I can however report that the sqlite3 db does load the entire song-list to the soundbridge when asked to browse [YEA!]. I can rationalize this as the song db is ~20MB [45,000 entries], the soundbridge is reported to have ~32MB memory, this leaves 12MB to operate [more than 35% of the total] and that seems possible [obviously no knowledge of soundbridge OS requirements used for this estimate].

If you have any ideas on the large playlist issue, I will try anything if it helps out for any improvements, just let me know what to change.

thanks again for the FF and all the assistance above!!!

Rat

That’s next up — to speed up playlist stuff.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.