Getting Another Editor to Work on an NSLU2 with mt-daapd

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Getting Another Editor to Work on an NSLU2 with mt-daapd

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Sherlock

I know this is not a topic that really belongs here, but since I saw other people reporting problems getting the ‘nano’ editor working with mt-daapd and I have not been able to get the ‘joe’ editor to work, is there a specific problem running either of these editors with mt-daapd? I don’t know enough about Linux to know how to troubleshoot the problem. The ‘vi’ editor works and has allowed me to make the changes I had to make, but it sure is not what I would call ‘user friendly’.

rpedde
    Participant

@Sherlock wrote:

I know this is not a topic that really belongs here, but since I saw other people reporting problems getting the ‘nano’ editor working with mt-daapd and I have not been able to get the ‘joe’ editor to work, is there a specific problem running either of these editors with mt-daapd? I don’t know enough about Linux to know how to troubleshoot the problem. The ‘vi’ editor works and has allowed me to make the changes I had to make, but it sure is not what I would call ‘user friendly’.

It’s apparently related to the newer firmware. I’m running old firmware and the packages work fine. It sounds like the directories have moved around.

fizze
    Participant

well Im using Unslung 6.8 and joe works like a charm, just with

ipkg install joe

weirdish.

Sherlock

@fizze wrote:

well Im using Unslung 6.8 and joe works like a charm, just with

ipkg install joe

weirdish.

What is your NSLU2 configuration as to USB devices? I am unslung on a single USB drive in Drive2. I am wondering if it is related to my configuration. I did the ‘ipkg install joe’ and it said everything installed OK. I did not find any other install instructions related to ‘joe’. Was there anything else that had to be done after the ‘ipkg install joe’?

fizze
    Participant

no. I have unslung to a USB flash drive on port 2, and I have a NTFS drive mounted on port 1.

no, not really. what happens if you type

joe

?

are you sure you are familiar with joe ? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sherlock

@fizze wrote:

what happens if you type

joe

?

are you sure you are familiar with joe ? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am the first to state I am not a Linux person and I am not familiar with any of the things I have gotten myself into here. I am learning and my ‘Linux for Dummies’ and several other Linux books are helping.

When I just enter ‘joe’, I get back ‘joe: No such file or directory’. I browsed around the NSLU2 last night and found what appears to be the executable for ‘joe’ in /opt/bin. A ‘ls -l’ shows ‘280836 May 23 08:32 joe’. I get the same message if I change to the /opt/bin directory and type in ‘joe’.

fizze
    Participant

easy, lad ๐Ÿ™‚

so, what system did you install on your NSLU2 ? I assume uNSLUng ? or openslug ? there’s just so many flavours of *IX for the slug….

well, if you would state the whole line of the ‘ls -l’ output, this would be helpful.
    I can see the binary is there, but maybe it hasnt set the right privileges, so noone may execute it.

Have you tried to apply following:

chmod +x joe

This allows the “joe” file to be executed.

Sherlock

@fizze wrote:

easy, lad ๐Ÿ™‚

so, what system did you install on your NSLU2 ? I assume uNSLUng ? or openslug ? there’s just so many flavours of *IX for the slug…..

Thanks for attempting to help me, fizze. I am uNSLUng on the latest 6.8 level. I will paste in everything from the telnet session which shows the level of code and everything I did from your suggestions.

Welcome to Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta

NOTE: THIS SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY UNSLUNG

BusyBox v0.60.4 (2005.03.22-06:52+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# chmod +x joe
    chmod: joe: No such file or directory
    # cd /opt/bin
    # ls
    captoinfo clear infocmp infotocap jmacs
    joe jpico jstar reset rjoe
    termidx tic toe tput tset
    # chmod +x joe
    # joe
    joe: No such file or directory
    # ls -l
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 May 26 19:06 captoinfo -> tic
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3268 May 23 09:19 clear
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 44744 May 23 09:19 infocmp
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 May 26 19:06 infotocap -> tic
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 May 26 19:06 jmacs -> joe
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 280836 May 23 08:32 joe
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 May 26 19:06 jpico -> joe
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 May 26 19:06 jstar -> joe
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 May 26 19:06 reset -> tset
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 May 26 19:06 rjoe -> joe
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4076 May 23 08:32 termidx
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 44048 May 23 09:19 tic
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30620 May 23 09:19 toe
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 8884 May 23 09:19 tput
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 35216 May 23 09:19 tset
    fizze
    Participant

wow, this seems weird.
    I’ll compare this to my slug once Im home.

As usual, I could only link you to nslu2-linux.org and the likes…
    tried to install nano or jove, btw ?

Sherlock

@fizze wrote:

As usual, I could only link you to nslu2-linux.org and the likes…tried to install nano or jove, btw ?

I spent some time last night going through the sites looking for information on several fronts, including editors. I have a second NSLU2 and want to uNSLUng it, but I need to learn more about other options such as using a USB Flash Drive, etc. I am very happy with our mt-daapd setup and don’t want to do anything to risk that at the moment. My wife would never forgive me!!!

I installed the ‘joe’ editor since I had seen so many other people were having problems with installing the ‘nano’ editor. I did find additional information last night that may be related to the problems people have been experiencing with the ‘nano’ editor. Involves setting a ‘TERMINFO’ and ‘TERM’ variable, but did not sound like there was universal agreement on just how one should do it. I do have the ‘vi’ editor to work with so not being able to get ‘joe’ running is not a critical problem. What concerns me the most is if I can’t get what I thought should be a simple install of an editor to work, what chance will I have on more complex programs. Being such a Linux newbie, I am trying to figure out the things I can do with the highest possible success ratio. I felt that the mt-daapd package was a very safe first adventure, but if it had not been for this forum and the helpful people in it, I would have failed on my first NSLU2 project. So again, thanks to Ron and all the helpful people in this forum. I can’t contribute anything on the coding side, but maybe by documenting things as a Linux Newbie, I can give others like me courage to attempt to get mt-daapd installed and working.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.