Getting 401 Unauthorized from winamp

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    anton_pm

Hi Chaps,

Got the app up and running on Ubuntu 7.04, got some mp3s and playlists shared etc. Tried connecting to the server via winamp -> open url and entering:

192.168.0.4:3689/Smiths.m3u

I keep getting a 401 Unauthorized. I don’t have a password set for mp3 access and have 777 chmoded the files just be on the safe side, so thinking it must be something to do with the username and password – not being asked for one though.

Any thoughts?

fizze
    Participant

Noonononono 😀

DAAP sharing doesn’t work like that.
    Winamp is trying to access the web-administration interface, which requires a password. That’s not where your music is located, or how to access it.

To gain access to your music you need a DAAP or RSP capable program.
    For Winamp, there is a plugin called ml-daap. But it is … well…quirky, to say the least. There is a thread in the add-on subforum about programs that supports DAAP / RSP.

EVILRipper
    Participant

Sorry to correct you, but DAAP almost does work like that.
    What you enter in the URL, is what is “requested”.
    So if you enter a correct URL, a song is requested, and the server responds in streaming the song.

So you were actually quite close; But you need the right URL.
    Next to that, mt-daapd scans for music. Indexes the music into a database.
    Each song it encounters gets a number. An ID.

http://192.168.1.5:3689/databases/1/items/6670.mp3

This is an example of my current song playing.
    It requests the 6670th song from database number 1. (mt-daapd does not support multiple databases. Left open for future use, possibly)

What sucks about this? You don’t know which song is which number.
    Agreed. That is why I created a program which generates a playlist of all the songs known by mt-daapd, including tags and songs. A RemotePlaylist, with nothing but a stream for each song. 🙂

Unless you have your own (smart) playlists, this program can be useful, since it generates a playlist of the complete database known by mt-daapd.
    Look for DaapPlaylistGenerator in the Add-On Software forum.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.