General observations…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gnits
    Participant

I use my slug…

… to NAS my files and this is awesome.

… to NAS my iTunes directory and this is awesome.

… to server my iTunes to my son’s computer and this is awesome.

… and right now my system is POUNDING it because its also the directory where my news reader runs from now. I only wish it had a gigabit port.

So my question is this, are there any devices that sport a gig-e port can do some of the things my slug does and still run firefly? I would love it if it still keeps its original web interface, becuase i REALLY like unslung for that reason.

I am still truely amazed at how well all this functions.

rpedde
    Participant

@Gnits wrote:

I use my slug…

… to NAS my files and this is awesome.

… to NAS my iTunes directory and this is awesome.

… to server my iTunes to my son’s computer and this is awesome.

… and right now my system is POUNDING it because its also the directory where my news reader runs from now. I only wish it had a gigabit port.

So my question is this, are there any devices that sport a gig-e port can do some of the things my slug does and still run firefly? I would love it if it still keeps its original web interface, becuase i REALLY like unslung for that reason.

I am still truely amazed at how well all this functions.

I’ve been impressed with the linkstations, but you have to do research first and know exactly which one supports the firmware you ahve in mind (freelink or openlink). Once you know that, it’s pretty nice. Well memoried, and good speed.

Thumbs up.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

Yes, Terastation, Linkstation live et al.
    They do run on ARM arch, and there are several Linux brands out there that run fine on those devs.

Oh, and while you’re out there shopping, I want one too 😉

alijames

I too recommend the Linkstation.

I use an LS2 MIPS running Twonky & firefly, using Openlink.

Currently building up an LS Pro as a replacement. Using a modded version of the buffalo software, with buildtools, Twonky, firefly all on the box. Firefly was easy to install from source, it has a Gigabit port, is silent, and is much faster than the LS2.

Just wish I could afford a Terastation Pro…

see http://www.linkstationwiki.net & forum.linkstationwiki.net for all the info.

Cheers,

Alistair

fizze
    Participant

Yes, the only thing keeping me from buying one is falling HD prices and that im not 100% sure about my software requirements….

Is there such a thing as “unslinging” on the LS/TS as well? I’d be cool to have all system stuff on a flash drive in order to avoid HD wear & tear, like on the slug.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.