Firefly/Soundbridge – server not found.

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Firefly/Soundbridge – server not found.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ccomley
    Participant

Since the earlier thread I’ve settled on Firefly so whilst other servers are still on the XP box, they’re not running (services set to “disable” etc). Moreover, I don’t run iTunes, so whilst I played with it on both XP and OSX, neither instance of iTunes is left running.

Firefly *is* left running.

So when I turned on the Soundbridge just now I was a little sad to note it was not finding Firefly, rather it was telling me it could see some DAAP servers (probably iTunes, it said) which it wasn’t prepared to talk to. I rebooted it a couple of times but to no avail. Presuming the server to have crashed, I went to the office and found it was up, and Firefly was running, Firefly status page said it was fine. I stopped and re-started Firefly. Then I noticed the Firefly status page says Bonjour is “Stopped”. Check with XP Services and THAT says it’s running, but I do a “re-start” on it anyway (which, of course, does a re-start of Firefly too as it’s a dependant service) and wheN I get back to the lounge, the Soundbridge has found the Firefly server just fine.

I’ll keep an eye on it – obviously at this stage I don’t know *which* of the restarts caused the SB to re-discover Firefly, I don’t know what the heck it was seeing when it said it wasn’t prepared to talk to iTunes.

Is there any way to lock the config of the SB to only look for Firefly or only look at a particular IP? Does firefly “Broadcast” its presense or does it listen to some sort of “are you there” packet from the Soundbridge?

(also posting to the Soundbridge forum as I’m not sure which element is at fault.)

rpedde
    Participant

@ccomley wrote:

Is there any way to lock the config of the SB to only look for Firefly or only look at a particular IP? Does firefly “Broadcast” its presense or does it listen to some sort of “are you there” packet from the Soundbridge?

It uses multicast for discovery. Not exactly broadcast, but similar.

— Ron

ccomley
    Participant

Hmm. Turns out iTunes on teh mac was still running – must remember that clicking the close-window button does NOT terminate the app on a mac. 🙂

Still, with both iTunes and Firefly running on the LAN, it’s peeving the Soundbridge felt it more important to whinge about not supporting iTunes than it did to log in to teh Firefly. I’ll raise that elsewhere.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.