Firefly works well with Banshee/Linux, but not w. Itunes7/ms

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Firefly works well with Banshee/Linux, but not w. Itunes7/ms

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nolaw
    Participant

I hav access zu the firefly server via Banshee/Linux, but noth with Itunes7/Windows (w2k).

Under Windows I can’t see any file od filelist.

Thanks for an answer

rpedde
    Participant

@nolaw wrote:

I hav access zu the firefly server via Banshee/Linux, but noth with Itunes7/Windows (w2k).

Under Windows I can’t see any file od filelist.

Thanks for an answer

Check that you have “search for shared libraries” enabled in the “sharing” tab of you iTunes configuration.

Can you see the shared server itself? And did you click on the triangle next to the server to show playlists and stuff?

nolaw
    Participant

Hello rpedde,

Yes, “Look for shared libraries” is enabled in my itunes-configuration. I can’t see the musicserver itself in itunes.

Maybe the problem lies here: I access the server with my MS-Client via VPN. With the client I have access with FTP, Samba, NFS (linux-only), SSH. As a guess, the MS-client can cope with the server, but not with the port 3689.

Any remedies against that?

Thanks

CCRDude
    Participant

The distinct server port 3689 may not be as much a problem as the multicasting used to announce where the server is.

Wasn’t there some kind of daap proxy thing for exactly this kind of setup? I quick googling showed me Rendezvous Proxy, not sure though if that is the best solution 😉

rpedde
    Participant

@CCRDude wrote:

The distinct server port 3689 may not be as much a problem as the multicasting used to announce where the server is.

Wasn’t there some kind of daap proxy thing for exactly this kind of setup? I quick googling showed me Rendezvous Proxy, not sure though if that is the best solution 😉

Yeah… that’s the problem. VPNs generally don’t pass multicast, so you’ll need to have a rendezvous announcer on the remote side. Rendezvous Proxy is the only one I know for windows.

You’d have to add an entry for _daap._tcp on 3689 (and _rsp._tcp, if you wanted the soundbridge to work remotely).

nolaw
    Participant

@rpedde

thanks. After installing RendevousProxy, I see the server and the playlist.

Now the network is stalled. I need to rebuffer the …what?

How can I change the buffer size? At the server? At the client?

Sorry for being so complicated.

mas
    Participant

I dont know of a way to change the buffer size but if your connection is good enough then its not needed. Remote playback works and even transcoded streams work if the internet connect has enough upstream on the serving side.

I have been playing around and using this rendezvous proxying thing a lot and had no issues at all with a 4/1 MBit connect on one side and a 16/2 Mbit on the other side.

But I am not using any VPN, just both networks are permanently on the internet with a flatrate and the appropriate ports open (with a password set in mt-daapd).

So the rebuffering SHOULD not come from having too low buffers. The buffers are ok for a normal internet connection.

fzoellne
    Participant

hi i had the same problems but the rendevous proxy solved it
    thx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.