Firefly server wont stay running

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, you’re in the right place.

See this line:

select 

replace the default value “0” with “9” and save. You should be able to do this Word pad or whatever Windows-fangled text editor is currently in use. That should bump up your log to the max. Remember to stop & restart Firefly and then take a look at the output.

On a Mac that file is Firefly.conf so apologies for leading you up the garden path… like i say, I don’t do Windows… ‘cept at work… and it does my head in… but I digress 🙄

I cant seem to access any help from the folk who make Firefly

The Firefly developer (a one-man-band) is no longer actively contributing to the project but there are a number of users still active on the forum. As you may have seen, though, you have to wade through the spam to find legit posts. This will hopefully change in the not too distant with new interest from 3rd parties.

EVILRipper
    Participant

For a fact I know that linux uses the file “mt-daapd.conf” instead of “firefly.conf” and I believe the same is for windows. (not sure)
    Also, I’m not sure changing that file’s default value will change the actual value. But at least it’s worth a try. The log states in which debuglevel it starts, so you should see soon enough whether it’s working or not.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I edited the config file as suggested – changing the default debug level to 9. I then used my Soundbridge until it crashed – about 5 minutes. I have copied the firefly log below but I am not sure whether its more detailed than before ie whether the debug is actually turned up to 9. I hope so, cos its really p….ing me off that I cant sit witha cool beer and listen to some music without the system crashing. Soundbridge is great when it works but a pain in the rear like this. I am as ever grateful for suggestions – I am fed up with internet radio and I want to listen to some of my own music!!

Log file: firefly.log

2009-10-07 17:30:51 (20df3cfe): Starting with debuglevel 0
    2009-10-07 17:30:51 (20df3cfe): Starting rendezvous daemon
    2009-10-07 17:30:51 (20df3cfe): Initializing database
    2009-10-07 17:30:51 (20df3cfe): Starting web server from C:Program FilesFirefly Media Serveradmin-root on port 9999
    2009-10-07 17:30:51 (20df3cfe): Registering rendezvous names
    2009-10-07 17:30:51 (20df3cfe): Serving 978 songs. Startup complete in 0 seconds
    2009-10-07 17:30:51 (20df3cfe): Rescanning database
    2009-10-07 17:32:28 (20df3cfe): Starting playlist scan
    2009-10-07 17:32:28 (20df3cfe): Scanned 978 songs (was 978) in 97 seconds
    2009-10-07 17:42:30 (20df3cfe): Rescanning database
    2009-10-07 17:44:04 (20df3cfe): Starting playlist scan
    2009-10-07 17:44:05 (20df3cfe): Scanned 978 songs (was 978) in 95 seconds
    2009-10-07 17:54:07 (20df3cfe): Rescanning database
    2009-10-07 17:55:44 (20df3cfe): Starting playlist scan
    2009-10-07 17:55:44 (20df3cfe): Scanned 978 songs (was 978) in 97 seconds
    2009-10-07 17:57:43 (0e61a99b): Session 0: Streaming file ’01 Yellow Dog.wma’ to 192.168.1.5 (offset 0)
    2009-10-07 17:58:22 (0e62c25d): Session 0: Streaming file ’02 Things Go Up.wma’ to 192.168.1.5 (offset 0)
    2009-10-07 18:01:57 (0e63db1f): Session 0: Streaming file ’03 Cut My Wings.wma’ to 192.168.1.5 (offset 0)
    2009-10-07 18:05:20 (0e64f3e1): Session 0: Streaming file ’04 Fallen off a Rock.wma’ to 192.168.1.5 (offset 0)
    2009-10-07 18:05:46 (20df3cfe): Rescanning database
    2009-10-07 18:06:07 (20df3cfe): Query: INSERT INTO updated VALUES (963)
    2009-10-07 18:06:07 (20df3cfe): Error: unable to open database file
    2009-10-07 18:06:07: Aborting

EVILRipper
    Participant

@dunderhead wrote:

2009-10-07 17:30:51 (20df3cfe): Starting with debuglevel 0

Not quite. :>
    But still, unable to open database. The database failed. Although I hate to admit it, it’s a common error.
    Somehow the database gets corrupt once in a while.

The easiest solution if the database is indeed corrupt is to shutdown firefly, delete the database, and restart firefly, so it will recreate a new one. (Might take a while, depending on your library size)
    If this does not solve the problem, you will indeed need to try and find how to set debuglevel 9. The log states in which level it starts, as quoted above.

Also, have you set a rescan interval? Try turning the rescanning off. I can imagine a collision when rescanning (using database) and streaming a new song (using database).

Hope this helps.

Edit: hehe, stupid of me. Viewing the log I can see you have indeed set a rescan interval, as it says “Scanned x songs” every once in a while. Try removing it, or setting it to 0. (Not sure which turns it off)

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for persisting with this problem. I am looking for the firefly database – what is the file called? I assume it is stored with firefly prgramem files?

re switching off automatic resca. do i do this by editing the config file? I tried this to reset the debug level (changed to 9 in the file) but looking at the log I sent you it still seems to be set at 0. If so i wonder whether resetting the rescan using the same method (editing with Notepad) will work? I have copied the section from the file fyi.

rescan_interval” restart=”true”>
    Rescan Interval

How often should Firefly look for new files? In seconds.

text

Always Scan

select

No
    Yes

Ordered Playlists

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks for persisting with this problem. I am looking for the firefly database – what is the file called? I assume it is stored with firefly prgramem files?

re switching off automatic resca. do i do this by editing the config file? I tried this to reset the debug level (changed to 9 in the file) but looking at the log I sent you it still seems to be set at 0. If so i wonder whether resetting the rescan using the same method (editing with Notepad) will work? I have copied the section from the file fyi.

rescan_interval” restart=”true”>
    Rescan Interval

How often should Firefly look for new files? In seconds.

text

Always Scan

select

No
    Yes

Ordered Playlists

Anonymous
    Inactive

i meant to ask – if I do try turning off rescan by editing the config file – can you advise what I need to change in the file.

thanks

EVILRipper
    Participant

That looks more like a helpfile or some sort for the config file.
    I know that the following link contains a template of an actual config file.
    http://trac.fireflymediaserver.org/browser/trunk/contrib/mt-daapd.conf.templ

You could try searching for a file that looks like that.

Also, if you can get firefly running for a minute, you can open the web interface where you can change the config on the fly.
    The windows interface has a button which opens the web interface for you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t use the Windows version of FireFly… but the file you’re currently editing looks more like the XML that drives the Online Admin form, not the actual config file.
    The config file, unless it’s wildly different for Windows (completely possible) will have entries in the format

[section_name]
    key=value1
    key=value2
    key=value3

The section_name you’re interested in will be called “general”, and the key will be called “debuglevel”.

Here’s what I would do to locate the proper config file, using Windows file search, in order of sequence:
    – Using the first text box in Search (“All or part of the file name:”), search for a filename called “mt-daapd.conf” (without the quotes)
    if that produces no results:
    – Using the first text box in Search, search for “*.conf” (asterisk, then a dot/period, then “conf”).
    This will likely bring up several to many results… scroll through the list and see if anything looks promising (in the FireFly program directory, or named with FireFly or daap in some manner).
    If it still doesn’t seem to produce the targeted file
    – Using the second text box in Search (“A word or phrase in the file:”), search for “debuglevel=”, then “debuglevel =”, then “process_itunes” and finally “[general]”.
    Again, each is likely to result in many found files. Scroll through the lists, as above, to find likely candidates.

Once the config file is found, you’ll want to open it with Notepad, rather than Word or WordPad. Then search for the [general] section, and then look for one of the key/value pairs that will likely look like

debuglevel=1

or, it could be commented out, like so

# debuglevel=1

or it could even be non-existent.
    If it is commented out (with a “#”), you’ll need to remove the pound sign
    If it is non-existent, then you’ll need to add it (make sure you’re adding under the [general] section).
    Lastly, change the 1 to a 5 (5 should do it… setting it to 9, like you’ve been trying, will be overkill).

Also in this config file will be an entry for “db_type”.
    If you could us what that’s set to, that’d probably help some.

Now save the config file, delete your existing filefly.log file, and try restarting FireFly again.
    If you’ve successfully changed the debug level, the logfile should start with the line “Starting with debuglevel 5”.

Some questions I’d ask to help troubleshoot:
    – What is the db_type set to in the config file? (see above)
    – What actually happens when you try to go to http://localhost:9999/ ? Do you get a page not found? Or some other error?
    – Do you have any other web or database servers running on the machine?
    – Have you tried streaming to a copy of iTunes running on the same machine (just for testing purposes), rather than a remote/SoundBridge?

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.