Firefly on NAS?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Kris!

That sounds really great!
    I’m waiting… πŸ˜€

/Andy

britben

I finally spent the time I needed to get firefly installed and running on my Buffalo Terastation Live. It works flawlessly !

I’ve had to do a bit of messing around, but linkstationwiki.net is my new best friend.

If anyone wishes to do the same, it’s very simple in the end.

1) gain telnet access to the Terastation using acp_commander
    2) install the libraries for sqlite, flac, obb, vorbis, id3tags
    3) install the mt-daap package for arm9 processors
    4) create the startup scripts (including modifying the watchdog script)
    5) Sit back and enjoy.

I now have 3Tb of RAID5 music goodness, and I’m serving music to Rokus and Apple TVs. I’m very much looking forward to the day where I can sync the Apple TVs to the NAS rather than an iTunes server, but for the time being I’ll live.

Next project is to get NFS running so that I can use a Mac Mini to automagically download content from the iTMS and fill the NAS.

πŸ™‚

Kudos for a great application.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@britben wrote:

I finally spent the time I needed to get firefly installed and running on my Buffalo Terastation Live. It works flawlessly !

I’ve had to do a bit of messing around, but linkstationwiki.net is my new best friend.

If anyone wishes to do the same, it’s very simple in the end.

1) gain telnet access to the Terastation using acp_commander
    2) install the libraries for sqlite, flac, obb, vorbis, id3tags
    3) install the mt-daap package for arm9 processors
    4) create the startup scripts (including modifying the watchdog script)
    5) Sit back and enjoy.

Congrats! I have a Terastation Live 2TB and would like to do the same. Are you transcoding FLAC? How is the performance?

drkris
    Participant

Hi Andy,

You will hopefully be pleased to hear that I’ve finally put together a page on the new Wiki covering what (I think) I went through to get Firefly running on my 500GB MyBook World Edition….. πŸ˜•

Unfortunately, I haven’t got a second drive that I can test them on, so you’ll have to do the honours and I can’t promise that I haven’t missed something. However, if you make sure your friend who knows a bit of Linux is around when you do it and take it all one step at a time, you should be ok ;).

Let me know how you get on.

Kris.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey, Kris!
    That sounds great!
    So where do I find the page?! (sorry for sounding stupid… πŸ˜‰
    Sure I’ll try it and let you know how it goes.
    It might take a while since we just this friday got our first son!! πŸ˜€
    It makes my quite busy, you know πŸ˜‰

Later!

/Andy

drkris
    Participant

Andy,

Firstly, and rather importantly, Congratulations on the new arrival! Hope all involved are doing well πŸ™‚

Secondly, and rather less importantly, the link to the wiki page is:

http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/MyBook_World_Edition_Install

Best wishes,

kris..

bebop
    Participant

Hi,

I tested it and it works, but for a few things :
    – I had to install zlib as well (before libid3tag)
    – there is a default mt-daapd.conf under /opt/mt-daapd-svn-1586/contrib, I copied it in the directory you mention in your tutorial before making the changes; what I mean is, it didn’t exist in the /etc folders
    – I had to write the softlinks for the libs the other way around : the sqlite3 and libid3tag libraries were in /usr/local/lib and I soft-linked them to /lib

And last detail, for some reason I had to launch the first scan manually from the Web interface at http://:3689/index.html

Thanks Kris, I had been looking for that!! I’m now using this MyBook World Edition with Firefly from a Soundbridge on my home hi-fi, it’s really cool.

And for others, I’m no linux guru, I just followed the instructions and looked around a bit.

Bebop

drkris
    Participant

Hi Bebop,

Sounds about right, I knew that I would have forgotten at least a couple of steps and it was late when I wrote the wiki page so that’s my excuse for getting the soft link the wrong way round… Oops πŸ˜‰

Glad you got it working though! I’ll update the wiki with the other missing steps and correct the mistake…..

By the way, are you running on a dual-drive system or a single drive like mine…?

Kris.

drkris
    Participant

All,

The mybook wiki is now updated to include bebop’s comments and corrections.

Hope it is of some use,

kris.

bebop
    Participant

Hi Kris,

I’m using the single drive 500 Gb.

Bebop

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.