Firefly on NAS?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey!

I newley bought a My Book™ World Edition™ II 1Tb and a Pinnacle SoundBridge M1001. The thing is that I want to use the NAS without my computer running. And I understand that the NSLU2 needs USB connections. The WD is a network hd with one usb connector on the back, but I somewhere read that the usb on the WD can’t be connected to use with a computer (?!?!) So does anyone know if it’s still possible to connect a NSLU2 and run firefly successfully to the soundbridge?
    Any other suggestions for making my NAS be playable via Firefly without a computer running?!

THNX!
    /andy

rpedde
    Participant

@andrease wrote:

Hey!

I newley bought a My Book™ World Edition™ II 1Tb and a Pinnacle SoundBridge M1001. The thing is that I want to use the NAS without my computer running. And I understand that the NSLU2 needs USB connections. The WD is a network hd with one usb connector on the back, but I somewhere read that the usb on the WD can’t be connected to use with a computer (?!?!) So does anyone know if it’s still possible to connect a NSLU2 and run firefly successfully to the soundbridge?
    Any other suggestions for making my NAS be playable via Firefly without a computer running?!

THNX!
    /andy

It looks like people have gotten custom software to run on them, see:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/mybook_hacking/?branch_id=70300&release_id=257046

and

http://martin.hinner.info/mybook/

But I don’t see a forum, or a port of firefly to it yet. I imagine at some point, a hacking wiki/forum will get set up, and then someone will port it.

Really just a matter of time. But doens’t look like it right now.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey, thanx anyway!!! 😀

/Andy

drkris
    Participant

Andy / Ron,

I have a 500GB WDC MyBook World Edition and, after enabling SSH courtesy of Martin Hinner’s rather nifty hack (see Ron’s post above), managed to get the last firefly nightly (1586) to compile and run. It needed a few extra things to be downloaded and compiled first:

libid3tag-0.15.1b.tar
    sqlite-3.4.0.tar
    zlib-1.2.3.tar

and I needed to soft-link the libraries to /lib (probably unnecessary if you change the library search paths), but aside from that it was pretty painless. I haven’t copied over my main itunes library yet to see how it copes with a sizeable music collection, but my PowerBook sees the firefly server and the small no. of MP3s I copied over as a test without any problem.

If you need any help, I’ll do my best, but I can tell you categorically that it does work! 🙂

Kris.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Kris!

And thanx for the info!
    My knowledge about linux is not very good, so I’ll
    let one of my friends take a look at it after his vacation…
    I’ll let you know how it turns out.

later!

/andy

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi again Kriss!!

My friend is back from the vacation but he was not much to help… 😉

Could you please write a step by step instruction how I should do?
    He has some knowledge, but was a bit unsure…

/Andy newbie…

drkris
    Participant

Andy,

No problem, I’ll try give them a go this evening. I’m not promising they’ll be comprehensive, but we should be able to get it going I think….and then we can write everything up properly for other people!

Have you got the 1TB or the 500Mb drive?

kris.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Kris, thats absolutely fantastic!
    I have the 1 TB drive.

I’ll be happy to help in anyway I can 😀

/Andy

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey again Kris!

So did you have time for my request?!

Sorry, but I’m a bit unpatient… 😉

/Andy

drkris
    Participant

Hi Andy,

Sorry, been tied up with redecorating the lounge the last couple of weeks and had the in-laws over this weekend. Should be able to get onto it this week though as the girlfriend is away on business so I have the evenings to myself 😉

Kris..

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.