Firefly on NAS?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    dlmoc
    Participant

I’ve read a couple articles on installing firefly on a linksys nslu2. I’ve got a VGear Landisk, has anyone ever been able to set up some media server program on one of these?

rpedde
    Participant

@dlmoc wrote:

I’ve read a couple articles on installing firefly on a linksys nslu2. I’ve got a VGear Landisk, has anyone ever been able to set up some media server program on one of these?

the google thinks that OpenMCT runs on these, and that might be the way to go. Not sure though, info seems kind of scarce on these devices.

— Ron

dlmoc
    Participant

I’ve done some research and i’m still not exactly sure what openMCT is. Could I get a little help with this? Or is this kind of a shot in the dark, and maybe I just shouldn’t bother? Thanks.

rpedde
    Participant

@dlmoc wrote:

I’ve done some research and i’m still not exactly sure what openMCT is. Could I get a little help with this? Or is this kind of a shot in the dark, and maybe I just shouldn’t bother? Thanks.

This is the main site:

http://www.openmct.org/

They have an english forum, but I’m still not 100% this runs on the landisk. It may be that nobody really has it hacked yet.

— Ron

dlmoc
    Participant

Thanks for the info. One other question, is it possible to point firefly (running on my computer) at my network drive to serve the music from there? Every time a try to add the music folder from my NAS, Firefly gives me
    ” Error: 500general:mp3_dir “

any ideas?

rpedde
    Participant

@dlmoc wrote:

Thanks for the info. One other question, is it possible to point firefly (running on my computer) at my network drive to serve the music from there? Every time a try to add the music folder from my NAS, Firefly gives me
    ” Error: 500general:mp3_dir “

any ideas?

You’ll have to set it up so that the service account has rights to the music share, and use a UNC path to the music directory.

Check http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/FAQ

Yell if that doesn’t get you anywhere.

— Ron

dlmoc
    Participant

Thanks! That UNC thing, I should have figured that out earlier.

One more thing, probably has nothing to do with firefly, would you know why when it scans it only finds 397 songs when I have over 12000 songs in that folder? I took the folder off and then re-entered it a couple of times, and it keeps ending up on 397. I’m guessing it’s probably another settings thing or something.

rpedde
    Participant

@dlmoc wrote:

Thanks! That UNC thing, I should have figured that out earlier.

One more thing, probably has nothing to do with firefly, would you know why when it scans it only finds 397 songs when I have over 12000 songs in that folder? I took the folder off and then re-entered it a couple of times, and it keeps ending up on 397. I’m guessing it’s probably another settings thing or something.

It’s either permissions, or a file type that it isn’t configured to index. Check the web admin page, there is a setting called ‘extensions’ that lists all the file extensions it will scan. If you have a bunch of .flac or .oggs or something, you’ll need to add those extensions there.

Otherwise, set the debuglevel to 5, and rescan. Check your logs and it will tell you why it won’t scan those files.

— Ron

dlmoc
    Participant

All my files are mp3’s.

changed debug all the way up to 7.
    Still only 397 songs.
    Checked the log file, didn’t say anything except for song titles that it was adding.

been looking through the forums, couldn’t find any other info.

any other ideas on what it might be?

rpedde
    Participant

@dlmoc wrote:

All my files are mp3’s.

changed debug all the way up to 7.
    Still only 397 songs.
    Checked the log file, didn’t say anything except for song titles that it was adding.

been looking through the forums, couldn’t find any other info.

any other ideas on what it might be?

Songs with non-latin filenames? That sometimes throws things if the file names aren’t utf-8.

That’s all I can think. Turn up the debug log to 9, then look at the logs. It should show verything its doing. Look at every subdirectory before it gets to a missing song. It will either give an error when it tries to open the subdirectory, or it will generate and error when it tries to index the song, but there will be an error in the log file that exaplains whats happening.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 63 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.