You are here: Home » Topic » Firefly not working over thomson 780wi

Firefly not working over thomson 780wi

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rpedde 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1273

    kranw
    Participant

    Hi,

    After I had the latest version (1528) working on my NSLU2 I changed some network components. One of them is the router. I used a linksys and now I am using a Thomson 780wi which is a VOIP modem/router.

    My Soundbridge is wireless connected, is working, has an ipaddress and I can connect to it (telnet/browser). But….no firefly available.

    When I put the linksys back again all works fine again.

    I hope someone has an idea what is wrong.

    Thanks Wouter

    #10026

    rpedde
    Participant

    @kranw wrote:

    Hi,

    After I had the latest version (1528) working on my NSLU2 I changed some network components. One of them is the router. I used a linksys and now I am using a Thomson 780wi which is a VOIP modem/router.

    My Soundbridge is wireless connected, is working, has an ipaddress and I can connect to it (telnet/browser). But….no firefly available.

    When I put the linksys back again all works fine again.

    I hope someone has an idea what is wrong.

    Thanks Wouter

    That router isn’t routing multicast between the wired and wireless networks. You can check for firmware updates, or also check the web configuration for that router and see if it has an option to enable multicast or enable igmp.

    — Ron

    #10027

    kranw
    Participant

    Hi Ron,

    Thanks for the quick reply. I just enabled music sharing on iTunes and that share ca be seen on the soundbridge.
    On the router there is an option in the WLAN section which is:

    Allow multicast from Broadband Network: on

    Is this the option you are referring to ?

    Thanks Wouter.

    #10028

    rpedde
    Participant

    @kranw wrote:

    Thanks for the quick reply. I just enabled music sharing on iTunes and that share ca be seen on the soundbridge.

    From what machine? And is that machine on the wired side or the wireless side?

    On the router there is an option in the WLAN section which is:

    Allow multicast from Broadband Network: on

    Is this the option you are referring to ?

    That probably isn’t it… you didn’t see anything else having to do with multicast or igmp?

    #10029

    kranw
    Participant

    Hi,

    Sorry I should have mentioned that activated iTunes sharing on my wired iMac and that is no suprise then if thats working.

    And that is the only settng I can find about multicasting and nothing about igmp.

    Nothing much I am afraid.

    Thanks.

    #10030

    kranw
    Participant

    After searching for a solution I came across this article in de rokulabs forum

    http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=10805

    And I having the same experience: after enabling wifi on my iMac the firefly server pops up on the roku. After rebooting the roku I can sill select the firefly server.
    I disabled wifi on the iMac again and firefly disappeared on the roku. ❓

    I am confused: multicasting is working but only when I enable wifi on my mac ?

    Thanks Wouter.

    #10031

    rpedde
    Participant

    @kranw wrote:

    After searching for a solution I came across this article in de rokulabs forum

    http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=10805

    And I having the same experience: after enabling wifi on my iMac the firefly server pops up on the roku. After rebooting the roku I can sill select the firefly server.
    I disabled wifi on the iMac again and firefly disappeared on the roku. ❓

    I am confused: multicasting is working but only when I enable wifi on my mac ?

    Thanks Wouter.

    Or maybe the mac is bridging the multicast? I’d really like to see network traces from your network. It’s definitely the router though.

    #10032

    kranw
    Participant

    Hi Ron,

    Did not think about the possibility that the mac is routing………..
    Right, I would make some traces but……..how ?
    In the past I used some tracing software on a windows pc but never had to use this on a mac.
    Can you help how to do this or what you need with what ?

    Thanks.

    #10033

    kranw
    Participant

    Hi,

    After installing a daap server on my dreambox my Roku worked over the thomson router. I did not change anything on the router.
    So, looking at the version on my dreambox, it is 0.2.4.
    After removing the latest installed version from my NLSU2 and installing version 0.2.4-1 my Roku sees the NSLU and daap server again ?!

    What is the difference that is still working and the later version not.

    Thanks

    #10034

    rpedde
    Participant

    @kranw wrote:

    Hi,

    After installing a daap server on my dreambox my Roku worked over the thomson router. I did not change anything on the router.
    So, looking at the version on my dreambox, it is 0.2.4.
    After removing the latest installed version from my NLSU2 and installing version 0.2.4-1 my Roku sees the NSLU and daap server again ?!

    What is the difference that is still working and the later version not.

    Thanks

    The only difference I can think of is that I did update the bonjour libraries between 0.2.4 and nightlies with the newest apple libraries (107.3), but I shouldn’t have thought that would have done anything.

    Clearly it did, though.

    It might be that switching to avahi would make more sense, as it’s morea ctivly developed than apples bonjour (at least on non-apple systems).

    — Ron

    #10035

    kranw
    Participant

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply. My Roku does see my iTunes share on my Mac also which is wired. If this is using the same libraries it should not see my Mac or am I wrong ?

    Anyway I tried to install avahi on my NSLU2 but for some reason I get errors while starting avahi daemon:

    Successfully dropped root privileges.
    avahi-daemon 0.6.19 starting up.
    WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
    dbus_bus_get_private(): Failed to connect to socket /opt/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

    I you have a suggestion ?

    Thanks.

    #10036

    rpedde
    Participant

    @kranw wrote:

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply. My Roku does see my iTunes share on my Mac also which is wired. If this is using the same libraries it should not see my Mac or am I wrong ?

    Anyway I tried to install avahi on my NSLU2 but for some reason I get errors while starting avahi daemon:

    Successfully dropped root privileges.
    avahi-daemon 0.6.19 starting up.
    WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
    dbus_bus_get_private(): Failed to connect to socket /opt/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

    I you have a suggestion ?

    Thanks.

    Try installing and running the dbus package?

    Seems like htat’s what avahi is looking for.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.