Firefly not available during rescan

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Firefly not available during rescan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

During a rescan I cannot connect to Firefly, using my Pinnacle Soundbridge. When I’m playing music, the streaming of music is halted as soon as Firefly starts a rescan. After the rescan everything is ok again. Is this normal Firefly behaviour?

I’m running Firefly svn-1586 on a NSLU2 (266Mhz, Unslung) with a USB disk attached. The music is played on a Soundbridge, connected to the NSLU2 (wireless via a router).

Anonymous
    Inactive

@herbkk wrote:

During a rescan I cannot connect to Firefly, using my Pinnacle Soundbridge. When I’m playing music, the streaming of music is halted as soon as Firefly starts a rescan. After the rescan everything is ok again. Is this normal Firefly behaviour?

I’m running Firefly svn-1586 on a NSLU2 (266Mhz, Unslung) with a USB disk attached. The music is played on a Soundbridge, connected to the NSLU2 (wireless via a router).

I would say ‘not normal’ based on the fact that I’m currently playing a file and rescanning to test this out. I’ll leave the solution to more competent souls than myself 😉 but a workaround would be to set the rescan interval in the config file to 0 and then manually perform a scan when you add new music. Should see you right at least in the short-term…

LeoD
    Participant

Maybe it depends on the size of the database. I am running svn-1586 on an NSLU2 with Debian and USB HDD and encountered the same problem sometimes. I have about 12K songs. Setting the rescan interval to 0 is what I did as a workaround as I do not add new songs more than once a week or so. You could install a tool like ‘htop’ and watch what’s happening during a rescan. If the slug starts swapping this might slow down the response time beyond the soundbridge’s timeout.
    EDIT:
    I just did a rescan while playing. The Connection broke during
    “Updating playlists”
    (I have ~1K static .m3u playlists)
    The physical memory limit was not exceeded, so maybe it’s just a performance issue of the XScale processor.

fizze
    Participant

The slug is rather pinicky when it comes to that.
    I’ve had good experiences with nice levels though. I run firefly at nice level -5, and wizd at -10.
    So during other cpu-intensive activities those apps are still responsive, if a little slower.

I’ve cron-jobbed a rescan at 5am every day, just after my podcasts are fetched. Which is normally enough for my slug to pick up new music, too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I seem to be having the same problem. I’ve noticed it’s not very consistent. I have my rescan time set to every 5mins. It will go through stages where every 5 mins it loses connection but then it will go days without it happening again.

Running Ubuntu 8.04.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.