Firefly needs rebooting to avoid ‘incompatible’ message

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Firefly needs rebooting to avoid ‘incompatible’ message

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi. I’m new to Soundbridge and this is my first post, which of course means I’m looking for some help! 🙄

Soundbridge/Firefly works fine, when connected. But Soundbridge ALWAYS flags up an “Incompatible server” message when I first start it and I always have to close the Firefly server and the open it again to make a connection.

Firefly is set to launch with Windows when I start my PC. There’s an icon on the bottom tray of XP and clicking on it opens the Firefly Media Server dialogue which has four tabs. The “Server” tabs shows “The Firefly Media Server is currently running”.

At the moment, the only way I can resolve it is to close the Firefly server (by clicking “Stop Server” on the Server tab) and then hit Start Server again. Everything is then fine. But this canot be right, surely?
    I thought it might be better if I unchecked the tickbox “Start Firefly when Windows starts” but I find that unless that box is checked, Firefly cannot start at all – instead it flags up a “Failed to start Firefly Media Server” message.

I have searched the forum as much as I can as I suspect there is a simple fix – probably a setting that needs a tweak. But I have not found a solution. Can anyone point me in the direction of a cure please?
    Many thanks.

Zygo

rpedde
    Participant

@zygo wrote:

Hi. I’m new to Soundbridge and this is my first post, which of course means I’m looking for some help! 🙄

Soundbridge/Firefly works fine, when connected. But Soundbridge ALWAYS flags up an “Incompatible server” message when I first start it and I always have to close the Firefly server and the open it again to make a connection.

Firefly is set to launch with Windows when I start my PC. There’s an icon on the bottom tray of XP and clicking on it opens the Firefly Media Server dialogue which has four tabs. The “Server” tabs shows “The Firefly Media Server is currently running”.

At the moment, the only way I can resolve it is to close the Firefly server (by clicking “Stop Server” on the Server tab) and then hit Start Server again. Everything is then fine. But this canot be right, surely?
    I thought it might be better if I unchecked the tickbox “Start Firefly when Windows starts” but I find that unless that box is checked, Firefly cannot start at all – instead it flags up a “Failed to start Firefly Media Server” message.

I have searched the forum as much as I can as I suspect there is a simple fix – probably a setting that needs a tweak. But I have not found a solution. Can anyone point me in the direction of a cure please?
    Many thanks.

Zygo

I think you are probably running the 1.0 version of the firefly software from roku, right?

Try this version, which is much updated from that.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2emqp4

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

The one I downloaded and am running is called Version 1.1359. The one you are directing me to seems to be later, version 1.1586. Are you convinced it will run better? It seems odd that Roku encourage users to download an older version (unless the later one is a beta, less stable and still undergoing testing).

Thanks for the assistance Ron. I do appreciate it.

Z

rpedde
    Participant

@zygo wrote:

The one I downloaded and am running is called Version 1.1359. The one you are directing me to seems to be later, version 1.1586. Are you convinced it will run better? It seems odd that Roku encourage users to download an older version (unless the later one is a beta, less stable and still undergoing testing).

Thanks for the assistance Ron. I do appreciate it.

Z

Yup. The 1586 one is the one I had delivered to them to be the 1.1 version. Not sure what happened, but I’m happier with that one that the 1.0 version.

Several fixes in it that make it more stable, plus vista support, etc.

— Ron

stretch
    Participant

Roku still list’s svn-1491 as Firefly 1.1b1

Probably a good idea if you could put a new sticky in Roku’s Firefly forum to say that svn-1586 is the latest *stable* and include a download link.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, I took the plunge and installed the later version (1586) and everything seems to run normally. I even tried turning off the PC and starting it again and the SB seems to find firefly now without a reboot of the server. So a round of applause to you both – I say ‘both’ because although it was Ron who suggested it above, I believe Stretch made the same suggestion to me previously on another forum (perhaps Radio and Telly or Roku) but I was too nervous to do it.

Ron, I noticed something that I did not expect when doing the upgrade and that was that my MS Defender warned me of two attempts to defeat my firewall. One was Roku, which I allowed) and the other was RPEDDE or something like that, which I kicked it into touch although I had a vague recollection that I had seen the name before. Then, on returning to this forum to thank you, Ron, I realised it was you! Will my denial affect how it works? I did notice that I was barred from your site when I clicked a link. Also, there’s something in your email that leads me to suspect that you had a big hand in writing this software program. Is that right? Finally, the upgrade is twice the size of the original version but I see no difference in the control panel. Am I missing something?

Rgds,
    a happy ZYGO

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just as an addendum, yesterday I installed 1586 on a second computer, shut it down last night and this morning, guess what?

Nope, it worked fine!
    Thanks guys.

Zygo

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks also from this noob for making my expensive plastic tube (aka SoundBridge Home Music) into the cool product I had hoped it would be.

From the reviews at Amazon, it seems that some users are giving up on their devices because of troubles related to FireFly. Would you consider putting a “latest stable” link in a prominent place at fireflymediaserver.org? I’m not sure I would have had the patience to track it down myself.

rpedde
    Participant

@English Bob wrote:

Thanks also from this noob for making my expensive plastic tube (aka SoundBridge Home Music) into the cool product I had hoped it would be.

From the reviews at Amazon, it seems that some users are giving up on their devices because of troubles related to FireFly. Would you consider putting a “latest stable” link in a prominent place at fireflymediaserver.org? I’m not sure I would have had the patience to track it down myself.

Hrm. Yeah, I should probably do that. Thanks for the heads-up.

— Ron

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.