Firefly Media Server keeps disconnecting

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Firefly Media Server keeps disconnecting

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    rpedde
    Participant

@beerfan wrote:

I was wrong. My disconnect issue is still happening with svn-1523. I’ve tried several times to get an ethereal capture but the windows version is the crashiest program I’ve ever seen. I did see that iTunes is sending a FIN as you guessed though.

Lol… true enough.

See, I’m not sure what that is, though. On all the traces I’ve seen (which admittedly is only a few) I see the close come from the client, not the server. In the case of wireless connections, I’d just chalk it up to lost signal. Or if it were against a soundbridge, I’d chalk it up to lost packets or something and not-very-robust embedded tcp stack.

But against iTunes on a real computer on a wired network? Can’t be that.

Hrm. Unless…. are you running a gig switch with a mix of 100mb and gig devices?

beerfan
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Uh…no. It’s a Netgear WGU624 router/access point.

Here’s some more anecdotal clues. iTunes disconnects whether it’s playing or not. If I connect and never start playing any music it will still disconnect after a while (switch back to “Library”). I also notice something flash in the system tray every time iTunes disconnects. It only pops up for a fraction of a second though so I haven’t been able to tell what it is. Perhaps I have some program that’s interfering but I can’t imagine what.

rpedde
    Participant

@beerfan wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

Uh…no. It’s a Netgear WGU624 router/access point.

Here’s some more anecdotal clues. iTunes disconnects whether it’s playing or not. If I connect and never start playing any music it will still disconnect after a while (switch back to “Library”). I also notice something flash in the system tray every time iTunes disconnects. It only pops up for a fraction of a second though so I haven’t been able to tell what it is. Perhaps I have some program that’s interfering but I can’t imagine what.

Wow. That actually sounds kinda promising. Wonder what that might be about.

MrDan

Using Nightly version 1523… seems stable and I’m no longer being disconnected. 😀

Great tool! Thanks

beerfan
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Wow. That actually sounds kinda promising. Wonder what that might be about.

False alarm apparently. I had installed a VPN program called Hamachi around the same time that I had upgraded Firefly and it was the culprit. The odd part is that after playing with it I didn’t run it again but it installs a new network adapter that continues to function even while the client is shut down apparently. Anyway, it was doing DHCP updates pretty frequently, and failing, but it was apparently causing them for all adapters and not just itself. ARG. Oh, well…it’s gone and I haven’t had any more problems with Firefly connectivity. Yay!

For what it’s worth, it sounds like an interesting project once they get the kinks worked out but the current version doesn’t seem quite stable.

chrissbu
    Participant

I’m running into a similar issue…Win XP Pro, running 1545 (and this problem has been occurring on many other nightlies I just tried). My Roku will be playing and then stop and say “The music library has shut down.” I bumped up my debug level to 4 and get the following…

2007-04-18 13:40:48 (2419b2b7): Session 0: Streaming file ’03-0 – Hilary Duff – With Love.mp3′ to 192.168.1.45 (offset 0)
    2007-04-18 13:41:35 (2419b2b7): Write error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

I’ve made sure that Windows Firewall is turned off…I’m running Symantec AV, but I’ve run that in the past and never had an issue. I have used Firefly in the past without a hitch, but recently had to restore my hard drive from backups and now can’t get Firefly to stay connected. Any insights?

rpedde
    Participant

@chrissbu wrote:

I’m running into a similar issue…Win XP Pro, running 1545 (and this problem has been occurring on many other nightlies I just tried). My Roku will be playing and then stop and say “The music library has shut down.” I bumped up my debug level to 4 and get the following…

2007-04-18 13:40:48 (2419b2b7): Session 0: Streaming file ’03-0 – Hilary Duff – With Love.mp3′ to 192.168.1.45 (offset 0)
    2007-04-18 13:41:35 (2419b2b7): Write error: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

I’ve made sure that Windows Firewall is turned off…I’m running Symantec AV, but I’ve run that in the past and never had an issue. I have used Firefly in the past without a hitch, but recently had to restore my hard drive from backups and now can’t get Firefly to stay connected. Any insights?

Do you have something called “worm protection” or something on the Symantec? Might turn that off, as it acts as a firewall as well, or so I’ve heard.

No other firewalls or anything that might create an “extra” interface?

And does it disappear at the same time? Like a half hour after you start it, or anything like that?

chrissbu
    Participant

I don’t believe so…I will have to double check, but if so, it must be something that was recently updated. As for timing, every time I tried today, it took 30-60 seconds to get disconnected…with my M500 sitting at the main screen, it would go from “No library…” to showing the Firefly library. I don’t have any other firewall software running.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.