Firefly compatibility with Apple TV

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    maccamb

Hello,

I am interested in understanding whether Firefly will work with the latest Apple TV release. I have a Dlink DNS-323 NAS that I wish to convert into a media server by installing Firefly. I would like to be able to view home movies stored on the NAS via Apple TV on my TV. The questions are:

1. does the current stable (or even a nightly) build support streaming content from Firefly to the Apple TV?

2. if so, what content is supported – audio, video, photos?

3. I am not looking for the synchronization capability that allows content purchased via AppleTV to be synched to Firefly – its really only one way streaming from Firefly-on-NAS -> Apple TV -> TV

Thanks very much!

gdaymate

I’d also like to know if firefly works on the new Apple TVs, especially for video. I’m trying to find a NAS that supports iTunes, and whilst many do, they only support music, not video.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It does work – at least for audio…

Checkout the wiki at http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Main_Page – search the wiki for ‘firefly’.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@PatentBoy wrote:

It does work – at least for audio…

I think the question refers to streaming to the Apple TV from a Firefly server.

The problem with Apple TV is that when you want to access a shared iTunes library (like a Linux server running Firefly) it gives you a 5-digit code, which you then have to type in to the iTunes server before you can access its library.

As far as I can see Firefly doesn’t implement this new protocol, so Apple TV will not see such a server.

Anonymous
    Inactive

any updates on this matter? very interested!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi. After making some modifications, I was able to stream MP4 video to Front Row using Julien’s forked-daapd. I sent in those changes, so possibly in a future SVN version of that it should work, or get the latest SVN and I can send you my changes.

Front Row streamed my MP3’s no problem without any modification.

Apple TV uses Front Row, so I would expect it to work.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Ace

Any chance of getting the info on how you enabled Apple TV Video sharing please?

Many thanks,

Chris

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.