Firefly cannot connect, Twonkyvision can

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Firefly cannot connect, Twonkyvision can

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I tried to install Firefly on my NSLU2 (unslung). My Soundbridge won’t connect wireless to Firefly: the Soundbridge does not see the library. When I install TwonkyVision there is no problem connecting wireless from the Soundbridge to my music collection on the NSLU2 using Twonkyvision.

What can be the cause of Firefly not connecting?

rpedde
    Participant

@herbkk wrote:

I tried to install Firefly on my NSLU2 (unslung). My Soundbridge won’t connect wireless to Firefly: the Soundbridge does not see the library. When I install TwonkyVision there is no problem connecting wireless from the Soundbridge to my music collection on the NSLU2 using Twonkyvision.

What can be the cause of Firefly not connecting?

Hard to tell without any information about version, models of equiment, etc.

But I’d guess that you’ve tried to install the stable verison 0.2.4.1 and are trying to see it from a Pinnacle branded version of soundbridge, which doesn’t support daap. To do that, you’ll need to use the nightly versions. Info on doing that is on the wiki at http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org

That’s my best guess.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have installed Firmware Version: V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta and also installed nightly version mt-daapd_svn-1696 at the NSLU2.

I’m using:
    – Pinnacle Soundbridge M1001 (wireless)
    – Davolink DV-201AMR router/modem
    – USB disk connected to NSLU2
    – NSLU2 connected wired to router

First I thought it was a router problem: no support for multicast. But with Twonky I can connect. Any ideas?

rpedde
    Participant

@herbkk wrote:

I have installed Firmware Version: V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta and also installed nightly version mt-daapd_svn-1696 at the NSLU2.

I’m using:
    – Pinnacle Soundbridge M1001 (wireless)
    – Davolink DV-201AMR router/modem
    – USB disk connected to NSLU2
    – NSLU2 connected wired to router

First I thought it was a router problem: no support for multicast. But with Twonky I can connect. Any ideas?

Twonky doesn’t use multicast, so it may still be a multicast issue.

Also could be a couple other thing:

1. If you installed from 0.2.4 to nightlies without overwriting the config, it might not be able to find the plugins. You can tell by looking at the web interface (http://ip.of.slug:3689) and seeing if it shows the rsp plugin in the plugins section. If not, that’s your problem.

2. There is an issue with background scans on 1696. Try turning scan_interval to 0. It might be that the dumb thing has crashed, and that’s why you can’t see it.

Aside from router & multicast, those are the things to try.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ron,

thanks for the help.

I checked the presence of the rsp plugin in the plugins section (in the webbrowser). The rsp plugin is shown, as well as daap and ssc-script. But it’s still not possible to connect from the Pinnacle Soundbridge to Firefly on the NSLU2: the library does not show in the Soundbridge.

I tried turning scan_interval to 0, but this didn’t make any difference.

So perhaps after all it’s a multicast problem of the router?

rpedde
    Participant

@herbkk wrote:

Ron,

thanks for the help.

I checked the presence of the rsp plugin in the plugins section (in the webbrowser). The rsp plugin is shown, as well as daap and ssc-script. But it’s still not possible to connect from the Pinnacle Soundbridge to Firefly on the NSLU2: the library does not show in the Soundbridge.

I tried turning scan_interval to 0, but this didn’t make any difference.

So perhaps after all it’s a multicast problem of the router?

That would be my suspicion. If you have a way that you could temporarily connect the soundbridge to the wired side, then you could confirm that.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ron,

using the wired connection between the router and the Soundbridge, there is no problem connecting to Firefly. The problem must be in the combination of Firefly and the router (no multicast options).

I will buy a new router.

thanks for the help.

Herbert

Anonymous
    Inactive

I bought a new Linsys WRT54GL router, connected this to my current DSL modem/router and the Soundbridge has no problems anymore connecting to Firefly on the NSLU2 ! Conclusion: The problem was in the modem/router supplied by my ISP.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.