Firefly and Soundbridge not talking thru firewall

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Firefly and Soundbridge not talking thru firewall

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    StructuralPoke
    Participant

Hello — hopefully someone here can lend a hand. I originally posted this on the Roku Forums and I reached the end of their expertise. The thread at the other forum can be found here: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=67410#67410 if it makes any difference.

I recently purchased a Soundbridge and am trying to get it to use the Firefly server to talk back and forth. From the help I got on the Roku Forums, we decided that it was my firewall that was giving me the fits. The background of my problem is that for my SB to find the server when powering it up, I had to manually stop/start the Firefly server. I also discovered that if I just turned off my Norton Personal Firewall temporarily that the SB would would act as expected. The SB can see the internet stations when brought off of standby, just not the computer.

After performing the actions above manipulating the firewall or FF server, the soundbridge works fine.

I guess basically I’m looking for help making sure I have things configured properly. Here are my Norton settings for Firefly and Bonjour:

Thanks for any help!

rpedde
    Participant

@StructuralPoke wrote:

After performing the actions above manipulating the firewall or FF server, the soundbridge works fine.

I guess basically I’m looking for help making sure I have things configured properly. Here are my Norton settings for Firefly and Bonjour:

You probably want “tcp” for firefly, as opposed to udp. Not sure why its’ working, unless you already have a global exception for 9999, or whatever the port is you are using.

But the firefly connection is TCP. Also, those seem to be fairly large rules… it wouldn’t be a bad idea to tighten them up some. Once you get it working, you can make one change at a time to tighten them up some.

For example, you could probably get by with TCP port 9999 inbound on the firefly one, and UDP and TCP inbound and outbound on port 5353 for the mdns one.

But otherwise, it looks okay.

— Ron

StructuralPoke
    Participant

Ron —

Hey thanks for the help. I’ve dialed down the firewall rules to what is appropriate, and reset the priorities of the various rules and I’m up and running it appears. I think Norton had a ‘general’ rule that it was applying before it got to the program specific rule.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

Chris — (SP)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.