Feisty Fawn + mtdaapd = Bonjour won’t start…

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Feisty Fawn + mtdaapd = Bonjour won’t start…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    nathanziarek
    Participant

mt-daapd/Firefly Version: svn-1376
    Server Operating System: Ubuntu 7.03 Feisty Fawn
    Server Hardware: Pentium 4, 2500 MHz
    Client Device: iTunes 7.1 for Mac
    Connection of clients: Mac through router (connection working)

The computer, other than some ffmpeg stuff, is a brand new install.

To install Firefly Media Server, I simply used

sudo apt-get mt-daapd

It installed without a fuss. I logged into the web administration and changed my settings (Server Name, file types, etc). Everything took. When the server didn’t show up in iTunes, I first restarted the daemon

sudo /etc/init.d/mt-daapd restart

before noticing that in the web interface it says Bonjour is stopped.

I stopped the daemon and ran

sudo mt-daapd -f

to see what sort of errors I received. Thing is, it worked fine. The server showed up in iTunes and I was able to stream my music and videos.

I know I am not using the latest nightly version, so perhaps this is a worthless report. I was trying to come up with an easy way to get it all installed, and using apt-get certainly fits the bill πŸ™‚

Thanks,

Nate

nathanziarek
    Participant

Looks like this guy is having the same problem, so no need for the duplicate thread…

rpedde
    Participant

@nathanziarek wrote:

mt-daapd/Firefly Version: svn-1376
    Server Operating System: Ubuntu 7.03 Feisty Fawn
    Server Hardware: Pentium 4, 2500 MHz
    Client Device: iTunes 7.1 for Mac
    Connection of clients: Mac through router (connection working)

The computer, other than some ffmpeg stuff, is a brand new install.

To install Firefly Media Server, I simply used

sudo apt-get mt-daapd

It installed without a fuss. I logged into the web administration and changed my settings (Server Name, file types, etc). Everything took. When the server didn’t show up in iTunes, I first restarted the daemon

before noticing that in the web interface it says Bonjour is stopped.

I stopped the daemon and ran

sudo mt-daapd -f

to see what sort of errors I received. Thing is, it worked fine. The server showed up in iTunes and I was able to stream my music and videos.

I know I am not using the latest nightly version, so perhaps this is a worthless report. I was trying to come up with an easy way to get it all installed, and using apt-get certainly fits the bill πŸ™‚

Thanks,

Nate

Is it possible you had an old version installed before that? 0.2.4, maybe?

And was avahi running before you started it the first time?

mrblack
    Participant

the apt-get install wont work.

I wrote this little blog post about how I got it working with fiesty (with a shh tunnel as well), you may want to grab the latest .deb to be sure of it working.

http://www.mrblack.co.uk/blog/2007/04/02/tunnelling-music-from-ubuntu-to-itunes-via-ssh/

CCRDude
    Participant

Ubuntu and Bonjour?

If you want to use Avahi, you have to manually enabled Avahi somewhere… Ubuntu has a zero-unnecessary-open-port-policy (or whatever they call it), so even if you install avahi, it won’t be open until you say so in its (?) config file.

nathanziarek
    Participant

Is it possible you had an old version installed before that? 0.2.4, maybe?

And was avahi running before you started it the first time?

I guess it is possible that I had an old version, but I had _just_ finished installing Ubuntu from scratch. So if it was there, it would have to come with the default installation.

I think your Avahi question is dead-on though. Looking through my history, I did run

sudo /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon restart

Everything appears to be working fine now (music and videos stream nicely). The only oddity is that in the server status it says Bonjour Stopped. We’ll see what happens after a restart, but I think I can live with that πŸ™‚

nathanziarek
    Participant

Thank you mrblack. Turns out I couldn’t leave well-enough alone. πŸ˜›

My steps:

sudo apt-get remove mt-daapd
    sudo apt-get install libid3tag0
    wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mt-daapd/mt-daapd_0.2.4-1_i386.deb?download
    sudo dpkg -i mt-daapd_0.2.4-1_i386.deb

… which provides the error …

Restarting mt-daapd: Invalid config directive: db_type
    Error reading config file (/etc/mt-daapd.conf)

I tried both sqlite and sqlite3. Other than that, I made no changes, and this is the config that was working two minutes before with the apt-get version.

I’m also a little confused about the versioning. apt-get gave me 0.2.4, which is being called an “old version.” But the latest release on sourceforge also appears to be 0.2.4. Am I missing something?

nathanziarek
    Participant

OK, well, I don’t have any idea what is going on. I removed the custom config file, resintalled mt-daapd using mrblack’s method, edited the newly created config and it all starts up fine. When I go to the web page, though, it is the old non-AJAXy version. I was starting to really dig the new one.

So, since it seems I am running the same version anyway, I guess I’ll just go back to the apt-get version (unless I should go to a nightly, but I’m guessing you all would get sick of me pretty quick if I was using an unstable verion πŸ™‚

Advice, as always, is appreciated.

Nate

rpedde
    Participant

@nathanziarek wrote:

OK, well, I don’t have any idea what is going on. I removed the custom config file, resintalled mt-daapd using mrblack’s method, edited the newly created config and it all starts up fine. When I go to the web page, though, it is the old non-AJAXy version. I was starting to really dig the new one.

So, since it seems I am running the same version anyway, I guess I’ll just go back to the apt-get version (unless I should go to a nightly, but I’m guessing you all would get sick of me pretty quick if I was using an unstable verion πŸ™‚

Advice, as always, is appreciated.

Nate

I’d not use 0.2.4. It’s *old*.

mrblack
    Participant

Yeah the ace new firefly web stuff is only really availible on the nightly releases.

Over here …

http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org/

Grab the .deb labelled edgy and you should have funky new-admin-ness.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.