Failed to start Firefly Media Server

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Failed to start Firefly Media Server

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Radioshoes

Hi
    Having used Firefly for a couple of days, I suddenly found it had stopped running – and every time I tried to restart it I got the above message. Also the web administration interface would no longer open. Finally I decided to reinstall Firefly and this did the trick, until the following day when it happened all over again. I’m using Windows XP and Windows Media Connect. Can anyone help, please?
    Chris

rpedde
    Participant

@Radioshoes wrote:

Hi
    Having used Firefly for a couple of days, I suddenly found it had stopped running – and every time I tried to restart it I got the above message. Also the web administration interface would no longer open. Finally I decided to reinstall Firefly and this did the trick, until the following day when it happened all over again. I’m using Windows XP and Windows Media Connect. Can anyone help, please?
    Chris

Version?

You might first try upgrading to latest nightlies (http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org) if you aren’t already at at least svn-1359.

To answer you question, though, you should be able to check your event viewer and see why it failed, or run it in debug mode (from start -> programs -> firefly media server) and look at the “firefly.log” in your program filesfirefly media server directory.

— Ron

jboone

I ran into this and had to shorten the media library directory field to get things working again. I had to move my directory closer to root since apparently the string can’t get too long…

rpassavant

I too am having the “Failed to start Firefly Media Server” error.

I have the issue with the production version and with the “1.0 svn-1376” version.

I am running Windows XP Pro / SP2 and as far as I know I am completely up to date. I have Zone Alarm as my personal firewall and avast! AntiVirus; the Windows firewall is turned off. When I disable ZA and AV I still get the error.

My music library is currently in:

“C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersDocumentsMy Music”

Based on the previous suggestion I tried it in:

“D:XXXXX’s DocumentsMy Music” – XXXXX = my username

With no change

I checked the event viewer and each time I try to start the service I get the same two sequential errors:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7009
    Date: 10/7/2006
    Time: 11:29:23 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: ZEUS
    Description:
    Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Firefly Media Server service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

followed immediately by:

Event ID: 7000
    Description:
    The Firefly Media Server service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I do have software on the machine that also uses the Bonjour service: iTunes and Gizmo Project VoIP/IM client. Currently iTunes is at 7.0.1, and the Roku can see it, but not see any music – which I know shouldn’t work, but it tells me that Bonjour is working.

Any help is greatly appreciated, my Roku is currently a brick in the entertainment center and I would like to get Firefly working so that I can get access to all my music.

rpedde
    Participant

@rpassavant wrote:

I too am having the “Failed to start Firefly Media Server” error.

I have the issue with the production version and with the “1.0 svn-1376” version.

I am running Windows XP Pro / SP2 and as far as I know I am completely up to date. I have Zone Alarm as my personal firewall and avast! AntiVirus; the Windows firewall is turned off. When I disable ZA and AV I still get the error.

My music library is currently in:

“C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersDocumentsMy Music”

Based on the previous suggestion I tried it in:

“D:XXXXX’s DocumentsMy Music” – XXXXX = my username

With no change

I checked the event viewer and each time I try to start the service I get the same two sequential errors:

Event ID: 7009
    Description:
    Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Firefly Media Server service to connect.

followed immediately by:

Event ID: 7000
    Description:
    The Firefly Media Server service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I do have software on the machine that also uses the Bonjour service: iTunes and Gizmo Project VoIP/IM client. Currently iTunes is at 7.0.1, and the Roku can see it, but not see any music – which I know shouldn’t work, but it tells me that Bonjour is working.

Any help is greatly appreciated, my Roku is currently a brick in the entertainment center and I would like to get Firefly working so that I can get access to all my music.

Run the debug version from your start menu and let it run until it crashes. Then look at the log file in c:program filesfirefly media serverfirefly.log and see what it says just before it stopped. It may have stopped on a file lenght problem (file path > 1024 characters) or it may have had a problem scanning a song — see if it just stops after scanning a song and take that song out of your library.

rpassavant

I tried running the Debug mode item and got the following error reported back immediately:

Title – “firefly.exe – Unable to Locate Component”

Error – “This application has failed to start because dnssd.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem”

I checked the Firefly Media Server directory and there is no “firefly.log” file

I doubt it is a scanning issue, the server never even appears to load to begin the scanning process.

I re-installed and tried running debug mode again and received the same error.

During re-install I reviewed the file list that gets installed and do not see dnssd.dll as one listed that gets installed. Should it be part of the install package?

I did a Google desktop search and found that my PC has a copy of dnssd.dll in my Gizmo project directory. Gizmo project also uses bonjour to configure itself – I am going to try copying that file into the Firefly directory with the other dll files.

rpassavant

I copied it into the Firefly directory and firefly is now scanning my music directory!

rpassavant

The “dnssd.dll” file appears to have been the culprit.

Putting it in the Firefox Media Server directory got the system to scan, and it appears to have found all my music.

The server starts and I can get to the management web page, it says that the Bonjour service is running, and so is the Firefly service, but the scanner is idle.

My Roku see’s firefly and I can play albums.

I got a little hiccup on the first couple I tried that it couldn’t find any matching songs, but now it appears OK and I am playing an album right now.

Just in case, here is the entire contents of the firefly.log file:

2006-10-07 13:23:12 (3147668f): Starting with debuglevel 2
    2006-10-07 13:23:13 (3147668f): Starting rendezvous daemon
    2006-10-07 13:23:13 (3147668f): Initializing database
    2006-10-07 13:23:20 (3147668f): Starting web server from C:Program FilesFirefly Media Serveradmin-root on port 9999
    2006-10-07 13:23:20 (3147668f): Registering rendezvous names
    2006-10-07 13:23:20 (3147668f): Serving 5900 songs. Startup complete in 8 seconds
    2006-10-07 13:23:20 (3147668f): Rescanning database
    2006-10-07 13:23:23 (8fb1d67b): Thread 0: Entering ws_returnerror (302: Moved)
    2006-10-07 13:23:33 (3147668f): Short file: C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersDocumentsMy MusicTom Petty & The HeartbreakersGreatest Hits17 – Mary Jane’s Last Dance.mp3
    2006-10-07 13:23:33 (3147668f): Skipping C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersDocumentsMy MusicTom Petty & The HeartbreakersGreatest Hits17 – Mary Jane’s Last Dance.mp3 – scan failed
    2006-10-07 13:23:33 (3147668f): Short file: C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersDocumentsMy MusicTom Petty & The HeartbreakersGreatest Hits18 – Something In The Air.mp3
    2006-10-07 13:23:33 (3147668f): Skipping C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersDocumentsMy MusicTom Petty & The HeartbreakersGreatest Hits18 – Something In The Air.mp3 – scan failed
    2006-10-07 13:23:34 (3147668f): Starting playlist scan
    2006-10-07 13:23:34 (3147668f): Processing static playlist: C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersDocumentsMy Music__history.m3u
    2006-10-07 13:23:34 (3147668f): Processing static playlist: C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersDocumentsMy Music__00_0d_4b_03_72_7b.m3u
    2006-10-07 13:23:42 (3147668f): Scanned 5900 songs (was 5900) in 22 seconds

I will let you know if there are anymore errors, but so far, so good, and thanks for the effort to right a great piece of open source code. Is there anyway I can donate to your cause?

rpedde
    Participant

@rpassavant wrote:

Error – “This application has failed to start because dnssd.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem”

Hmm… that’s bonjour. If bonjour was set up, it should have put that in the system directory. Somehow got a strange setup of bonjour.

During re-install I reviewed the file list that gets installed and do not see dnssd.dll as one listed that gets installed. Should it be part of the install package?

Nope, it should detect that bonjour isn’t installed and prompt you to install it. But clearly there was something strange with the install as it didn’t copy all the install files.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.