You are here: Home » Topic » "failed to start firefly media server"

"failed to start firefly media server"

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  rpedde 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #890

    Tugman
    Participant

    I would be grateful for some assistance. I have downloaded Bonjour and Firefly to an XP running PC. The first problem was “error 6” when downloading Firefly. I uninstalled and restored my PC and then downloaded Bonjour and Firefly once again.

    Now I am unable to start Firefly as I get a “failed to start firefly media server” message. My music directory is on my F drive if that makes any difference? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Best regards.

    #7885

    rpedde
    Participant

    @tugman wrote:

    I would be grateful for some assistance. I have downloaded Bonjour and Firefly to an XP running PC. The first problem was “error 6” when downloading Firefly. I uninstalled and restored my PC and then downloaded Bonjour and Firefly once again.

    Now I am unable to start Firefly as I get a “failed to start firefly media server” message. My music directory is on my F drive if that makes any difference? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Best regards.

    Check both your event log and the logfile in c:program filesfirefly media serverfirefly.log

    It sounds like a problem with the config file, but I can’t imagine what if this is a clean install.

    — Ron

    #7886

    Tugman
    Participant

    Ron, Thank you for your reply. I am somewhat of a novice at this; could you tell me what I should be looking for? There is indeed a lot of information in both logs and I am not sure what is relevant to helping me sort out my problem.

    Thanks.

    #7887

    rpedde
    Participant

    @tugman wrote:

    Ron, Thank you for your reply. I am somewhat of a novice at this; could you tell me what I should be looking for? There is indeed a lot of information in both logs and I am not sure what is relevant to helping me sort out my problem.

    Thanks.

    Actually, if you just posted the last few lines it would probably let us know what we need to know.

    — Ron

    #7888

    drewportland
    Participant

    I have just tried installing Bonjour and Firefly over this last weekend on XP and I am getting the same message as Tugman “failed to start firefly media server.” I will post my log file later today for you to review.

    Thanks

    #7889

    Tugman
    Participant

    Good luck drewportland with your server issue. I re-installed the software twice before it worked. I am now trying to get Firefly to recognize playlists in ITunes and Musicmatch. I do like my Roku but it has been a very frustrating experience getting it set up and I am not there yet!

    #7890

    drewportland
    Participant

    Thanks Tugman………Here is what my firefly log file says; Failed to open server log file ‘firefly.log’. I am going to try and re-instal firefly as well.

    #7891

    kokomojuggler

    I have this same problem and mulitple reinstalls doesn’t help.

    #7892

    kokomojuggler

    I finally unstalled firefly, did a repair of bonjour and then reinstalled firefly and it seems to be working.

    #7893

    drewportland
    Participant

    The new software version for the Roku saved me. After downloading it to my SB everything is working fine.

    #7894

    mavandeh

    Again, I’m having the same problem and I’ve tried everything that each user suggested in this thread. My logfile is completely blank and I am at a loss as to what could be wrong.

    I’m using version svn-1571 on Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

    #7895

    rpedde
    Participant

    @mavandeh wrote:

    Again, I’m having the same problem and I’ve tried everything that each user suggested in this thread. My logfile is completely blank and I am at a loss as to what could be wrong.

    I’m using version svn-1571 on Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

    You can try running the link for “debug”, and see if you get any more helpful errors. Your event log probably also has the reason that it wouldn’t start.

    — Ron

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.