Endless searching

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Bill Carlisle

I have installed Firefly on both my Mac G5 and Intel Minimac, each running OS 10.4.7, with the hopes of connecting my iTunes playlists to my SoundBridge while Roku makes friends with the latest version of iTunes. Unfortunately, upn startup, Firefly has done nothing but scan. I have left both machines running overnight, and the program is still starting up. The Soundbridge recognized Firefly, but because Firefly is still starting up, I cannot connect.

What am I doing wrong?

Anonymous
    Inactive

are you running the stable build or the latest nightly – svn.1376?

If you’re on the stable build, then go grab yourself the latest nightly from here:

http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org/

you want the .dmg download as I’m sure you know. Please don’t worry about what it is says at the top of the page – plenty of us are using this version & it is WAY better than the last official release as it’s ironed out a fair few gremlins – inclduing one that makes it apparent that firefly is starting ad infinitum.

Get the download, open the package, run the stop & uninstall scripts, then the install and you should be set. One thing you might want to consider if the sb & firefly still don’t want to play ball is to open up a specific port in your firewall for them to communicate to each other.

Go to System prefs/Sharing/Firewall and select New. Port name is ‘Other’, assign a port in TCP – I use 1024 for example. UDP leave blank, give the name ‘Firefly’. Ok that. Go to the Firefly pref pane is System prefs and click Advanced. Set ‘Assign Server Port’ to ‘Manually’ and then enter the port number you have chosen. Apply the change.

there are considerations with doing this if you have other user accounts on the one machine but if you’re the admin/sole user then you should be fine.

rpedde
    Participant

@andyg wrote:

are you running the stable build or the latest nightly – svn.1376?

Okay andy — you’re hired as the official firefly support evangelist. πŸ™‚

Bill — if the soundbridge sees firefly, then what andy is saying is right – it’s firewalled. If you do the port thing andy describes, then you should be okay.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ron, the invoice is in the post… πŸ˜†

seriously though, this has got to be the 6th or 7th person between this forum & the roku forum showing the same symptoms with firefly not connecting til that port’s opened up (not counting those who searched the forums & found the solution themselves). And with itunes 7 putting a large spanner in the works (great for firefly obviously πŸ˜‰ ) more users are going to get caught out by this.

How about a sticky topic or whatever it’s called here & on the roku forum with these instructions or a version of, so that people can try to figure it themselves. Or… how about posting 1376 as the stable build… or is that jumping the gun?

andy

Bill Carlisle

I have done everything you instructed me to do, and it is still hung up after an hour of scanning. The last thing it says in the log is “(a000ed98): Scanned 2860 songs (was 2860) in 7 seconds,” and that was at 13:08:45. There has been no activity since then, and it is now 14:05:30, so it apparently scanned the iTunes DB. But it is still hung up.

Anything else I can do?

rpedde
    Participant

@andyg wrote:

Ron, the invoice is in the post… πŸ˜†

as is the check. πŸ™‚

seriously though, this has got to be the 6th or 7th person between this forum & the roku forum showing the same symptoms with firefly not connecting til that port’s opened up (not counting those who searched the forums & found the solution themselves). And with itunes 7 putting a large spanner in the works (great for firefly obviously πŸ˜‰ ) more users are going to get caught out by this.

Yeah. I noticed. I’m spending a lot of time answering mail and forums. I did post a link to this thread on the nightlies page, but that will only help those that actually use the nightlies. Would make sense for the Roku people to post it.

How about a sticky topic or whatever it’s called here & on the roku forum with these instructions or a version of, so that people can try to figure it themselves.

Yeah, maybe I will post a sticky. Good call.

Or… how about posting 1376 as the stable build… or is that jumping the gun?

I asked one of the roku guys off-line if they could post 1359 instead of 1313… hopefully they’ll be able to do that fairly quickly.

rpedde
    Participant

@Bill Carlisle wrote:

I have done everything you instructed me to do, and it is still hung up after an hour of scanning. The last thing it says in the log is “(a000ed98): Scanned 2860 songs (was 2860) in 7 seconds,” and that was at 13:08:45. There has been no activity since then, and it is now 14:05:30, so it apparently scanned the iTunes DB. But it is still hung up.

It’s actually done. No interface or anything comes up, it just runs in the background. Can you see it from the soundbridge?

Bill Carlisle

You are telling me it is running, even though the preference pane says it is “sstarting,” I cannot access the webpage, and even though the Soundbridge recognizes my playlists, it will not let me play the music, says it can’t run the format?

I guess I am doomed and will have to turn to SlimServer, which I know works because I am using it. I was hoping to use Firefly because it is what Roku most stongly recommends.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bill,

did you install the latest nightly? svn1376?

The last thing it says in the log is “(a000ed98): Scanned 2860 songs (was 2860) in 7 seconds,”

this does suggest that actually your music got scanned and added to firefly , but what’s happening on the sb – does firefly show? can you connect? if so, does your music show up? If not..

Lets start from scratch:

manually uninstall firefly:

Open System Preferences and click on the Firefly icon
    β€’ If Firefly is running, click “Stop Firefly”
    β€’ If you are running Firefly 1.0b3 or 1.0, un-check the “Show Firefly menu in menu bar” box
    β€’ Change the “Start Server” option to “Manually”, and click Apply Now
    β€’ Close System Preferences
    β€’ In the Finder, open your home folder
    β€’ Open the folder called Library
    β€’ Open the Application Support folder
    β€’ Drag the Firefly folder inside Application Support to the Trash
    β€’ If you installed 1.0b3 or 1.0 for the current user only, or if removing 1.0b1 or 1.0b2:
    β€’ Go back up one level to your Library folder
    β€’ If you installed 1.0b3 or 1.0 for all users:
    β€’ Open the window for your hard disk drive, and within that window, open the Library folder
    β€’ Open the PreferencePanes folder
    β€’ Drag Firefly.prefPane to the Trash
    β€’ Restart your computer, or log out and log in again

having done all that, first up empty the trash
    then I’d suggest doing a spotlight search to make sure you’ve got rid of firefly completely.

download the svn1376 nightlie again and go through the steps of stopping & unsinstalling. You should get a couple of errors on the basis that there’s nothing to stop & nothing to uninstall but we’re trying to make absolutely sure there’s nothing left from your previous install.

Having done that, hit the prefpane icon to install. Go for the install for this user only. Before going any further with the install go into system prefs/sharing and do the port thing I described earlier in the thread & open up a spare port (actually it will still be there from your previous version as uninstalling firefly has no effect on the port you’d previously opened.) So, confirm that port number, go back to the firefly pane in system prefs and clcik the advanced tab & assign the server port manually that you have chosen in the advanced tab. Browse to your music location and hit the apply now tab. Hit start firefly and cross your fingers… To see whats happening hit the log tab and you should see everything being added to the server as it scans.

To give you an idea, I have about 4000 songs that on a fresh full scan takes about 90 seconds or so to process.

If it’s still hung then I’m at a loss… I had hanging problems on earlier versions but since installing 1376 when it was first posted, it’s been a dream.

[since I wrote this ron & you have both responded… the only thing I would add is that slimserver on the sb is incredibly slow. I know, I also have it – it’s theonly way to get the principle bbc radio stations. It’s worth perservering if you can be bothered – firefly is way faster]

Bill Carlisle

Regret to report that it is still hung, although, according to the log, the scanning procedure that it did go through was smuch cleaner than the last time. Last report in the logs says “2006-09-16 19:25:40 (a000ed98): Serving 2860 songs. Startup complete in 76 seconds.” That was more than a half hour ago.

Sorry!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.